Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

CO-AJ

WKR
Looking forward to the results. I agree with including usable volume of pack and how many days of gear can fit in the pack.

For people on a budget can there be a mention to alternative packs that might feature "trickle down technology" to the ones reviewed? For a lot of people the amount of models of packs are overwhelming.
Comitted, I would say don't settle on the pack. There are a lot of deals on Rokslide for gently used packs, sometimes only 1x use. If budget is your #1 consideration I would say shop the 2nd hand market on here or other sites before looking for old tech.

AndySee

FNG
I want your job
I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.

Please let me know in the comments:
  • Questions you have on each specific pack.
  • Tests you would like to see performed.
  • Anything else that comes to mind.
Thank you!
I want your job!

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Did I miss it somewhere in this thread... When do we expect the results?
Plan is to have Part 1 and Part 2.
-Part 1: Tests I conduct posted no later than end of July.
-Part 2: Take each pack on a 3-5 day hunt and hopefully haul out an animal with it. Post date to be determined but followers and people interested will be notified.

comitted

FNG
Comitted, I would say don't settle on the pack. There are a lot of deals on Rokslide for gently used packs, sometimes only 1x use. If budget is your #1 consideration I would say shop the 2nd hand market on here or other sites before looking for old tech.

Thanks CO-AJ I will keep an eye out for some good deals.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m almost done buying a pack now - new to backpack hunting, new-ish to hunting, not new to backpacking.

Some things to maybe cover that I struggled to find CONSISTENT and COMPARABLE info on. Some sites had it (well done SG), some didn’t (Looking at you Kifaru), and some did a crap job of explaining it (Kuiu, re-read you pack fitment descriptions)

You probably have this stuff, but:
- pack fitment - especially evaluate frame size recommendation to torso length and demonstrate who needs “curved vs flat”
- for newbies like me - compare features to a typical “backpacking” backpack e.g arcteryx and explain why they matter. (Belt design, lumbar is design, frame height, fabric selection, etc)
- for load hauling tests - have at least two or three testers, no one person fits all pack types well, so having some who the pack fits test the load hauling matters. If the review only can say “it wasn’t comfortable for my fit type” than it doesn’t help anyone with a different fit.
- accessories - check to compare like to like (especially for price, weight) with some of the small pouches, lids, etc - some include them, some dont
Certain things like accessories can be found on the website so I won't spend time on that. I will mention a little about fit but if they want to dive deeper into it they need to call the company they are interested in. As far as "typical backpacking backpack" I can mention a few things but won't be able to compare directly because I don't have a backpacking backpack. I will mention the importance of getting a backpack that is designed to haul loads over 80lbs unlike a backpacking pack.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to the results. I agree with including usable volume of pack and how many days of gear can fit in the pack.

For people on a budget can there be a mention to alternative packs that might feature "trickle down technology" to the ones reviewed? For a lot of people the amount of models of packs are overwhelming.

I'll do my best.

bloom1gr

FNG
Really looking forward to the review, too. I've been perusing the SO - Kifaru - EXO - SG sites today trying to run my own objective analysis just from the numbers, but also trying to consider bag features makes that silly to an extent. I see a lot of similarities between the SO and SG but like the customization and add-ons that can come with Kifaru, and I see EXO all over the place. Curious how the question about those pockets being filled up gets answered.