Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm new to all this so part 1 was very helpful. Thank you for working it up.

Is the testing for part 2 scheduled for weeks or months down the road?

Im glad to hear that part 1 was helpful, that’s awesome. I’m am conducting part 2 throughout the season. I plan to have it done in December unless I haven’t got to test all the packs yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to make this happen. I run a few seek outside shelters and recently purchased the Lanner 5400. I’m planning on using it this year instead of my old pack. Can you elaborate on what caused the buckles/clips to break? It’s concerning to hear they broke so easily while testing and has me second guessing my purchase. Thanks

It’s one of my favorites that I tested. I think it was a fluke they broke. I had the 160lbs in it and shrugged my shoulders while pulling hard and fast in the hip belt. They have since contacted manufacturer and everything because the clip is rated for something like 220lbs. They sent a ton of replacements and I bought some $4 sea to summit replacement ladder locks that are working great. Trust me when I say you didn’t mess Up getting that pack it’s AWESOME. Just take the time to fit it perfectly even if you have to call seek outside for help.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
The issue: The forward Pull Ladder Locks on the Belt can Break under certain conditions.
It took some effort for us to duplicate the issue (It has only happened in two cases to customers). It seems to happen only when the belt bottoms out (I.E belt is almost too big for you ) and this causes the hardware to break well under it's load rating. We did have a group of people that used these new forward pull for two seasons and we have used the component for years with no issue. We were not able to duplicate it without the belt bottoming out, regardless of load / activity.

Who does this effect ?
It can effect the new dual adjust forward pull hip belts sold since Feb 2020.

What we are doing to resolve the issue:?
We are sending out kits, and instructions on how to repair to all hunting pack customers that bought since the 2020 western hunt expo. The fix should take about 5 minutes and we consider it a long term fix. Expect these to arrive in the mail in the next few weeks (we are waiting on the hardware and then we have to mail it out).

What can you do in the interim if you have the issue or believe you may have the issue ?
The GHOOKs we send out as part of the repair kit can work in the field if needed, but the usability is poor as they don't hold tension on heavy loads well. If you have the Sea To Summit one inch Ladder Lock Repair buckles those work very well. The Marsupial Gear Buckle Delete Military Gate Keeper works very well (That is what we consider the best fix ). Jim from Marsupial Gear was kind enough to sell us a large quantity so we can start to send out kits earlier.

Thanks
Kevin

Thanks for jumping on Kevin.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I love my Kuiu system I feel like being a tall user that it doesn’t feel quite long enough in the shoulder department and also the overall fit when comparing to the Kifaru I tried on last week. I was blown away by that hip belt.

The crappy thing with the new Kuiu design is the fixed load lifter point. I’m a tall guy with a big frame and the strap has to go around your torso but the old straps had an adjustable load lift point.The new ones went backwards to fixed.

While the new suspension is comfortable I’m unable to have load lifters that take much of a load off while still trying to maintain The 45 deg load lifter angle. Throw more weight in that the frame will sink lower and lower having to compensate by shortening the torso length on the frame slightly to try and get the 45 deg angle back.

I’ve yet to test out the kifaru with a 60 to 80lb loads but judging by the hip belt fit and the actual ability to fit the shoulder straps and adjust the three bar slider to the clavicle or just in front of it you can actually get load lift. The added pound or two of weight for me will be acceptable in my eyes for the heavy loading when packing out an animal where you need it most. Not hauling sub 50lbs of gear into the backcountry. The Duplex ultralight even seemed stiffer vertically speaking even up top in comparison to the Kuiu, though I’d be after getting the lite.

I’ll report back in a few months once I make my order and do some testing if anyone’s curious.

Best of luck I hope it works for you. If you are truly looking for a tall frame, seek outside will up to 28”.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am. I'm six four and have noticed the exact same dilemmas with the load lifters. Exact same. The KUIU pack fits good enough for this season but next I might be working towards something that fits better. I had and sold a Badlands Summit last year. Maybe one year a pack will tickle me the perfect way.
Please share or PM your findings for a tall guy.

If you are wanting a taller frame something like the Seek Outside (up to 28”) with extensions might be a good option. Obviously you can get a 26” frame from other companies too but if you want a lot longer the Seek comes to mind.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a huge fan of their frame/belt/straps to be honest.

Curious, are you saying that because you tried them and didn’t like it or just don’t like the looks, concept, and design?

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It’s one of my favorites that I tested. I think it was a fluke they broke. I had the 160lbs in it and shrugged my shoulders while pulling hard and fast in the hip belt. They have since contacted manufacturer and everything because the clip is rated for something like 220lbs. They sent a ton of replacements and I bought some $4 sea to summit replacement ladder locks that are working great. Trust me when I say you didn’t mess Up getting that pack it’s AWESOME. Just take the time to fit it perfectly even if you have to call seek outside for help.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That’s reassuring. I’m looking forward to reading the second half of your article. Keep up the good work.

Wow, thank you putting so much time into this. Great, great info and I enjoyed the thoroughness of part 1. Can’t wait to see part 2. Good luck on your hunts and hopefully you get to load them up with meat instead of weights.

It really is a shame that MR couldn’t be bothered to respond and send a pack. That is more telling than the performance IMO.

Randle

WKR
Great review. thanks for doing this . I am in the camp of i dont like pack material noise. Can you retest the pack material noise after they have been seasoned ?

shawn30

FNG
How did someone at Rokslide not know that if you don’t get the right stay for your back shape the Kifaru frame will slide? Duh!
Had this happen to me, I called Aron and he actually met me at the shop on a Sunday and got me squared away with the correct stays. Loads stay on my hips now.