Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

Outlaw99

WKR
How did someone at Rokslide not know that if you don’t get the right stay for your back shape the Kifaru frame will slide? Duh!
Had this happen to me, I called Aron and he actually met me at the shop on a Sunday and got me squared away with the correct stays. Loads stay on my hips now.

Can you be more specific? Describe your situation? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
How did someone at Rokslide not know that if you don’t get the right stay for your back shape the Kifaru frame will slide? Duh!
Had this happen to me, I called Aron and he actually met me at the shop on a Sunday and got me squared away with the correct stays. Loads stay on my hips now.

Like you, we all have room to learn

I had aluminum stays and bent them in many different configurations as well as UL carbon stays - the result was the same: didn't stay on my hips very well.

HE>i77

FNG
I wish the Mystery Ranch pack used in this was in the same class/category as the other packs, such as the Metcalf or Beartooth. I just bought a pack. I was deciding between the Kifaru 44 mag and the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. I went with the Beartooth because I got a deal on it and it ended up costing my nearly half of what the 44 mag would have. I have only gone on one extended hike with around 60 lbs in it and I loved it. Obviously time will tell but so far so good.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review. thanks for doing this . I am in the camp of i dont like pack material noise. Can you retest the pack material noise after they have been seasoned ?

That’s a good point. I don’t know that after one year 7 different packs will truly be seasoned.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep duh is right. I have a normal curved back and the corresponding correct backpack stays according to Kifaru videos.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish the Mystery Ranch pack used in this was in the same class/category as the other packs, such as the Metcalf or Beartooth. I just bought a pack. I was deciding between the Kifaru 44 mag and the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. I went with the Beartooth because I got a deal on it and it ended up costing my nearly half of what the 44 mag would have. I have only gone on one extended hike with around 60 lbs in it and I loved it. Obviously time will tell but so far so good.

Awesome I hope it works well for you!

shawn30

FNG
Yep duh is right. I have a normal curved back and the corresponding correct backpack stays according to Kifaru videos.

I was trying to be funny with the duh thing, hopefully you got that. Its a nice review. Actually last week my pack that I had tested with 70# pounds over miles, and was great, was slipping down while deer hunting. Idk, kinda annoying. Only difference was that I was wearing my Sitka shirt last week.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was trying to be funny with the duh thing, hopefully you got that. Its a nice review. Actually last week my pack that I had tested with 70# pounds over miles, and was great, was slipping down while deer hunting. Idk, kinda annoying. Only difference was that I was wearing my Sitka shirt last week.
Clothing can matter with belts staying in place.

As someone currently in the market stumbling on this was extremely helpful. Being a newbie I'm trying to figure out how I've managed to not stumble in sooner.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
As someone currently in the market stumbling on this was extremely helpful. Being a newbie I'm trying to figure out how I've managed to not stumble in sooner.

Glad you enjoyed it. Let me know if I can help.