Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up!

I have two Kuiu packs: 2016 and 2018 Ultra 6000.

I am selling the 2016 model and keeping the 2018 as my pack that I can load out to friends for helping me pack out quarters.

I have been trying to decide between a new Pro or Pro LT pack. I think I will be going with the Pro 6000.

Manakh

FNG
To see the exact amount refer to part 1 of the review. I show the DB scale in the video. I love the Sitka backpack and I don't think you can go wrong with it was close to the quietest and I think the zippers were the quietest but like I said for the exact numbers and results check out part 1.

To piggy back this a little, the results were quite the surprise to me!! Considering the 3 brands I was mostly looking at are all 500d cordura material!!

I haven't seen kifaru or exo in person yet but the kuiu is labeled as the same material. Do you think the kifaru was louder just because of the webbing loops on the outside? The zipper test appeared to be quiet.

As maybe you can guess I'm looking for quiet!! There are days I am in and out of a lot of brush, reap rod, etc out here on the very west coast of Wa... I have a set of sitka thunderhead rain gear just because it's more quiet then other rain gear.
...If only sitka made a smaller version pack that could carry as heavy of a load as the one you reviewed!!!... Looking for 1500-2200 size that compresses down still

Last edited:
OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
To piggy back this a little, the results were quite the surprise to me!! Considering the 3 brands I was mostly looking at are all 500d cordura material!!

I haven't seen kifaru or exo in person yet but the kuiu is labeled as the same material. Do you think the kifaru was louder just because of the webbing loops on the outside? The zipper test appeared to be quiet.

As maybe you can guess I'm looking for quiet!! There are days I am in and out of a lot of brush, reap rod, etc out here on the very west coast of Wa... I have a set of sitka thunderhead rain gear just because it's more quiet then other rain gear.
...If only sitka made a smaller version pack that could carry as heavy of a load as the one you reviewed!!!... Looking for 1500-2200 size that compresses down still
Don't give up on Sitka just yet. Work on the street is they'll be coming out with something soon

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

brucemt

FNG
Great review Zach! Really liked part 2, comments about packs during actual hunting/pack outs are as honest as it gets. This is what I like about this pack right now as I am using it, this is what is bugging the shit out of me right now as I am using the hell out of this pack. Awesome review👍

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review Zach! Really liked part 2, comments about packs during actual hunting/pack outs are as honest as it gets. This is what I like about this pack right now as I am using it, this is what is bugging the shit out of me right now as I am using the hell out of this pack. Awesome review
Hey thanks a bunch. I'm glad you found it useful.

Thanks for the reviews, it's really interesting to see your thoughts on all of these. I discovered this week just how important clothing can be when training or evaluating gear. Usually I try and use a shirt of similar material to my hunting clothes (or hunting clothes themselves), but this week I used a shirt which was very slippery and it was brutal. I couldn't get the waist belt to stay up with 50lbs and it put a lot of weight on my shoulders and chafed my waistline rubbing on my belt. Not fun on a 14 mile hike.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reviews, it's really interesting to see your thoughts on all of these. I discovered this week just how important clothing can be when training or evaluating gear. Usually I try and use a shirt of similar material to my hunting clothes (or hunting clothes themselves), but this week I used a shirt which was very slippery and it was brutal. I couldn't get the waist belt to stay up with 50lbs and it put a lot of weight on my shoulders and chafed my waistline rubbing on my belt. Not fun on a 14 mile hike.
Agreed!

This is great info.

I've got a Mystery Ranch 3 day Assault pack. Built like a tank but is pretty hefty when empty too. Not looking to part with it any time soon but I love seeing the contrast in these reviews for those times when I find myself wondering what else might serve better for different purposes.

Just caught up on this review too, excellent work and great job being part of all those hunts! Loved carrying the whole deer out that way, was pretty funny but to see it was easier than dragging was interesting.

re: kuiu 2300....did you feel the smaller sized bag was a factor in the comfort and ease of looking up? I would be interested to hear if their bigger bags would impinge on your ability to look up like several of the larger bags caused you?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just caught up on this review too, excellent work and great job being part of all those hunts! Loved carrying the whole deer out that way, was pretty funny but to see it was easier than dragging was interesting.

re: kuiu 2300....did you feel the smaller sized bag was a factor in the comfort and ease of looking up? I would be interested to hear if their bigger bags would impinge on your ability to look up like several of the larger bags caused you?
Glad you enjoyed it. I think it had to do with frame size and how/where the frame was connected to the harness system.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think it had to do with frame size and how/where the frame was connected to the harness system.

Thats what i figured too, based on the video. I know kifaru and kuiu make different sized frames for different height people, i forget did you specify the sizes of the frames in the initial review and were they all the recommended sizes for your frame?
Just curious if you have a larger frame in kuiu or a smaller in some of the ones that the head space drove you nuts would have made any sognificant difference....probably no way of telling since you just had the one you were given.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats what i figured too, based on the video. I know kifaru and kuiu make different sized frames for different height people, i forget did you specify the sizes of the frames in the initial review and were they all the recommended sizes for your frame?
Just curious if you have a larger frame in kuiu or a smaller in some of the ones that the head space drove you nuts would have made any sognificant difference....probably no way of telling since you just had the one you were given.
I discussed with the companies before they sent me a pack.

Understood. If i recollect i have a 24” frame on my kifaru and as you mentioned, with the load lifters cranked down the pack does limit the upward flexion of my neck some, but with the load lifters relaxed a bit i can flex all the way back without hitting until right at the end. Of course this was without any headgear on so a ball cap or other beanie hat would rub earlier.

Really appreciate your reviews. Good to know all the packs were solid choices. Nuance is important just like boots

you still thinking you will run the kuiu this fall for day trips or short over night trips? What would be your choice for a longer 5-7+ day trip (if you do those)?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Understood. If i recollect i have a 24” frame on my kifaru and as you mentioned, with the load lifters cranked down the pack does limit the upward flexion of my neck some, but with the load lifters relaxed a bit i can flex all the way back without hitting until right at the end. Of course this was without any headgear on so a ball cap or other beanie hat would rub earlier.

Really appreciate your reviews. Good to know all the packs were solid choices. Nuance is important just like boots

you still thinking you will run the kuiu this fall for day trips or short over night trips? What would be your choice for a longer 5-7+ day trip (if you do those)?
I'll probably do my best to simply take less shit in the KUIU, put a bigger bag ok the KUIU, or take the seek outside.