Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't seek a sponsor?

I woulda thought they would have been on the short list? Not trying to be smart.

Yes they are a sponsor and a valued one. However we had them participating in several other reviews that you’ll see published very soon, and we don’t want to ever be greedy.But when Kevin saw this post he was happy to send Zach a pack. Remember, all these reviews cost the sponsors a lot of money so we have to draw the line somewhere on how much we ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are a sponsor and a valued one. However we had them participating in several other reviews that you’ll see published very soon, and we don’t want to ever be greedy.But when Kevin saw this post he was happy to send Zach a pack. Remember, all these reviews cost the sponsors a lot of money so we have to draw the line somewhere on how much we ask for.

Hell I don't know if it costs the sponsors as much money as it costs us.

@

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll be damned. A Rokslide review where a kuiu pack carries weight better than Kifaru.

nicely done Zach. I own or have owned seek, Sg, Kifaru, and exo and your review aligns with my experiences very closely.

I appreciate the words. Than you and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
People shouldn't feel triggered or get mad. what some set forth as industry leaders others playing catch-up quickly do so, this is largely due to engineers taking the competitions product and improving upon it or mimic its best features and implementing them into their own product.

couldnt you take a little from each pack and create the ultimate backpack? The one pack to rule them all, lol

I went from a camelback to a badlands daypack to a SG Avail, so my exp is limited with a pack carrying weight. so I’m playing close attention to this test as i will be a heading out west this upcoming year.

I’m very impressed with SG pack and looking hard @ their new frame.

Awesome well let me know if I can help.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I missed this, but when it comes to loudness, is a bigger bar better or worse?

One comment about Kifaru - I think they're great when you finally get them adjusted, but man it took me years to figure out what worked best for me when it came to heavy loads, and calls to Aron and Customer service didn't help. I love the packs, but I definitely need to wear them higher on my hips than most recommend. If I had to wager, it's because of where the lumbar pad sits in the small of my back, i need the pack up slightly higher to get it to sit right. @Zach Herold - you might try bumping the belt up higher so the bottom third of the belt as opposed to the middle sits over the point of the hips, tighten it down there.

Next pack I'd love to try is the Stone Glacier, but too many gear purchases already this year.

We took the sound results and assigned them a number 1-5. 5 being quietest so Larger bar is quieter.

And thanks I’ll try that! I agree great pack just need it to stay put on my body.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't seek a sponsor?

I woulda thought they would have been on the short list? Not trying to be smart.

When I put together the list I didn’t know SO had gained such a reputation for hunting packs. They are great and I’m glad Kevin was listening in and willing to send the pack.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate the review. I’m quite surprised by the results. I’m in the market for a new pack that will carry weight better as I’ve had a back surgery and two knee reconstructions. I’m back in shape and planning to hunt hard this fall. So one that carries weight well is paramount. I had never considered Sitka nor Kuiu based on comments here. I’ll add them to the list and give a serious look at SO and SG.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any tips on seam sealing a SO Spectra pack?

Video is old, needs to be redone but the info is solid. Seams TIGHT, use silicone.

Edit to add Kevin beat me to it. LOL

I'll flesh this out a bit here.

1. Seal the outside seams. Sealing inside has no benefit.
  2. STUFF the packbag to stretch the seams tight. If you don't do this the sealant will pull away from the seam when the packbag gets stuffed tight later.
  3. Don't use too much. The seam sealer is visible, so try to make it look nice.
  4. Focus on anything that can catch water. Think of it like roofing a house. A gable or chimney or air vent is almost always where things leak.

Last edited:
Not to get too far off topic but if you seam seal an SO Fortress (big x-pac roll top bag with no zipper) you basically have a waterproof dry bag. Great for wet environments like AK. Its all to some extent trade-offs so each person has aspects of a pack that are more important to them. Waterproof and light weight are important to me - so I'm willing to give up some packing ease of a big zipper and willing to accept a bit louder material like x-pac. Other's top features list may be quite different! So great to have so many great choices of not only brands but packs within a brand!

If my math is right he’s got seven of the leading packs in there and five day trips planned for each one, so 35+days for just that part of the review. I think if we keep adding packs on this the review, he won’t be done till November and then it doesn’t help anybody in the market for a pack before archery season opens. If Seek Outside sees this and wants to send a pack right away we won’t refuse it, but we gotta get rolling on this.

Here’s the SO reviews we’ve published recently

How do I strap a bow to the Lanner 5400?

bsnedeker

WKR
I hope this doesn't come across as fan boyish, but I think it's important to point out that pack comfort under heavy loads is a very subjective thing and different packs are going to fit some guys better than others. If you come away from this review with the conclusion that kuiu, SO, and SG carry heavy loads better than kifaru and base your buying decision off of that you run the risk of being very disappointed. The truth is that those packs felt better to this reviewer and that is the only conclusion to be had.

I can tell you that I've tried 2 generations of kifaru, an SG, and an eberlestock (unfortunately! ) and to me there is no comparison, kifaru was WAY more comfortable and secure than SG under heavy loads. I know that isn't true for everyone, but it's true for me.

Someone earlier made the comparison to boots and it's a good analogy. The only real way to find which pack is going to work for you is to try them all and find out what works best for your body.

I really appreciate this review and the work it takes to put it together, but it shouldn't be taken as a definitive answer to which pack is "best". Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great job Zach, this is one of the best reviews I’ve ever seen so far. As far as the results, I am still in shock. I never in a million years would have guessed Sitka and Kuiu would have done so well in the load hauling phase. Just goes to show u always keep an open mind and don’t fall in love with a brand name.