Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

stephpull

FNG
I have already decided on the choice of a backpack, backpacks.global this is my favorite. I used to go camping for only 1 day, but now I will be there for a week. I hope that everything will be fine and that the bear will not eat me. I know it will be very cold in the mountains, but I am ready for it. If there are people with experience here, give me some tips. Wish me good luck.

Last edited:

HbDane

WKR
Awesome review. I currently have a Kuiu pro 3600 and 6000. They are comfortable and have a lot of organization. You have me really interested in SO. I've been on and off their site for a month or so with my finger hovering over the checkout button. I'm just not sure if I need to add another pack to the ever growing gear inventory 😂. Although the simplicity of their packs is very intriguing.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome review. I currently have a Kuiu pro 3600 and 6000. They are comfortable and have a lot of organization. You have me really interested in SO. I've been on and off their site for a month or so with my finger hovering over the checkout button. I'm just not sure if I need to add another pack to the ever growing gear inventory . Although the simplicity of their packs is very intriguing.

Oh, you need a SO pack. You just don’ know you do yet. I custom ordered one 4 mos ago and have had it in hand for about 6wks. The hype is real. I still have my Kifaru, Seek, and Kuiu packs, but the SO pack is impressive.

HbDane

WKR
You ta
Oh, you need a SO pack. You just don’ know you do yet. I custom ordered one 4 mos ago and have had it in hand for about 6wks. The hype is real. I still have my Kifaru, Seek, and Kuiu packs, but the SO pack is impressive.
You talked me into it. Gonna pull the trigger now

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a new Initial Ascent before TAC Snowbird last week and hiked up an down that mountain at 11,000' for 3 days. Pack was very comfortable and had zero complaints. I also own 2 Kuiu packs and I like the IA better by a lot. I also have to say that customer service is excellent with the owner of the company calling and texting me personally to make sure that I got the pack in time for TAC as I ordered it almost to late. Also checked in with me during TAC to make sure everything was good.

I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.

***Update 8/5/2020*** The Backpack Showdown - Part 1

Please let me know in the comments:
  • Questions you have on each specific pack.
  • Tests you would like to see performed.
  • Anything else that comes to mind.
Thank you!

2/10/21 Edit: Posting both video reviews in this lead post so you don't have to dig for them

PART I

PART II
How about outdoorsman packs?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bought a new Initial Ascent before TAC Snowbird last week and hiked up an down that mountain at 11,000' for 3 days. Pack was very comfortable and had zero complaints. I also own 2 Kuiu packs and I like the IA better by a lot. I also have to say that customer service is excellent with the owner of the company calling and texting me personally to make sure that I got the pack in time for TAC as I ordered it almost to late. Also checked in with me during TAC to make sure everything was good.
Awesome I'm glad you like it so much! Yes Joe and Dennis are great people and truly care about their customers.

Logestagg

FNG
I wish there was a store that had these in stock to look at. In central Virginia. There is a sportsman warehouse in Roanoke but haven't been. Back to the forums!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish there was a store that had these in stock to look at. In central Virginia. There is a sportsman warehouse in Roanoke but haven't been. Back to the forums!
Let me know if I can answer any questions or be of any help.

slvrslngr

WKR
Great review Zach, thanks for putting in the work to put that together. It's nice to see such a comprehensive and unbiased review of these products. (y)

Awesome review! I love my Kuiu Pro Lt 5500 so happy to see that in the top of the list. It's a pretty comfortable pack and I love the way it's laid out where I can access the main compartment from the side.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve been using the same 3 packs, MR crew cab, 6500 and bighorn, for over a decade now. Tons of miles and use on them. I’ve tried on a bunch of other packs over the years and finally convinced myself to buy an exo 4800 which showed up yesterday. Very excited to put it to use. Thanks for a great review