Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been using the same 3 packs, MR crew cab, 6500 and bighorn, for over a decade now. Tons of miles and use on them. I’ve tried on a bunch of other packs over the years and finally convinced myself to buy an exo 4800 which showed up yesterday. Very excited to put it to use. Thanks for a great review

Let us know what you think of the EXO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboAaron

FNG
Please don't take this the wrong way, I myself have MANY packs in this price range and almost all of them are from the companies you have listed here.

But there are a few berry compliant mil-spec makers out tgere that are virtually NEVER covered in reviews like these, i believe simply because they are out of the price range of the packs in this list.

I really wish there were intelligent indepth reviews of packs like:

The Matbock Mr. Dry 2.0 Pack
Or
The Catoma Switchblade M.A.G.
Or
The Granite Gear Tactical Virga

Packs like these are simply over and above all of the packs on this list and really should be pitted against them.

I myself am about to bite the perverbial bullet and sell off a lot of my Kifaru fortune and invest in one of these beuties. But i wish i had a real comparison out there to lessen the initial guessing I may have when going into a multi thousand dollar purchase.

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I just watched both videos.....great stuff and many thanks.

I currently run a Kuiu 3200 Pro and 5200 Pro.

I dont find them the most comfortable but the layout and pockets are convenient.

The tech of all the packs is really impressive....

Swandive

FNG
I am set on the Kuiu pro pack and suspension. But now I am not sure if I go with the LT bags or not.
the 3600 or the 400 LT?
is there something I am really going to miss out with going with the LT?

Definitely a very informative review. I was pretty set on getting Kifaru or EXO before, now I’m considering KUIU again. However this is the first time i heard about slipping problems on Kifaru and EXO. Is it one off problem or shared experience for many?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely a very informative review. I was pretty set on getting Kifaru or EXO before, now I’m considering KUIU again. However this is the first time i heard about slipping problems on Kifaru and EXO. Is it one off problem or shared experience for many?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just packed another two elk with my Exo in the past month. My brother was using his Kuiu, and by the end of the second bull he was so mad he didn't buy an EXO like I told him to. Everybody is different, but I've packed a ton of meat with my pack, and quite a few of those packouts included a buddy using a Kuiu. Without exception, they were super sad they hadn't bought an EXO after exchanging packs for a mile. Just my .02 based on a lot of meat packing.

Just packed another two elk with my Exo in the past month. My brother was using his Kuiu, and by the end of the second bull he was so mad he didn't buy an EXO like I told him to. Everybody is different, but I've packed a ton of meat with my pack, and quite a few of those packouts included a buddy using a Kuiu. Without exception, they were super sad they hadn't bought an EXO after exchanging packs for a mile. Just my .02 based on a lot of meat packing.

I’m of a smaller frame like OP, at 5’8” 155lbs, so maybe a smaller frame backpack would fit me better? What’s your experience with EXO vs KUIU fit for smaller body frames?

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m of a smaller frame like OP, at 5’8” 155lbs, so maybe a smaller frame backpack would fit me better? What’s your experience with EXO vs KUIU fit for smaller body frames?

The KUIU fits me better.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am set on the Kuiu pro pack and suspension. But now I am not sure if I go with the LT bags or not.
the 3600 or the 400 LT?
is there something I am really going to miss out with going with the LT?
I really like the layout of the pro bag over the LT.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the layout of the pro bag over the LT.

I mean I like the layout of the PRO bag the best ha ha. Sorry about th typo.

No experience in regard to smaller frame. I'm 6' 215.

bushman

FNG
I have absolutely no complaints with my stone glacier evo frame. with either the 4056 bag or the 1800 bag, Packed out elk, whitetail deer,black bear and headed to Kodiak In nov to hopefully hump some blacktails off the mountains.
Thaks for the review.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you I appreciate it. Currently working with KUIU to get a pack for part two which will be the same suspension system as the pack I used in part one.

As for the mystery ranch it was the cabinet because that’s what I own and when I reached out to mystery ranch they didn’t respond.

Kifaru is great but for whatever reason like I stated in the video for my body build it always feels like its sliding down over my lower back/tailbone which in turn makes me feel like I need to adjust it. Kinda the same feeling as when you need a belt for your pants and they keep sliding down.

Kifaru slides down my back as well