Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

I've got my pack already picked out and hoping to size it in early August to make sure it's a perfect fit. Interested to see if the results of this test will confirm my choice or make me hesitate! Thanks for doing this for everyone Zach!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone the video is on the way to Robby for him to review. I'll then make final edits and it will be up for everyone to enjoy. Thanks for following along and I hope you enjoy the review.
I just viewed that video. Super work @Zach Herold

Roksliders, you'll like this video, I especially found valuable the 157lb pack load segment! @Justin Crossley and I are working to get this ready to launch on our homepage next week. We'll post a link here too. You'll need 26 minutes, but it's really worth the watch. This is Part 1 btw, Zach will get us Part 2 sometime in the fall after each of the finalists have done a 3 day hunt.

vBC

FNG
I look forward to see the results of these tests. This will be very valuable. Gear are fun to buy, but so expensive.

Harington

FNG
I will be testing some of the leading packs against each other. I have several tests lines up to simulate hunting and backpacking scenarios.

I Will Be Testing:
  • KIFARU
  • KUIU
  • Stone Glacier
  • Exo
  • Eberlee Stock
  • Initial Ascent
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Sitka
  • Seek Outside
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.
I hope to do a two part test on the packs. Part One: Tests, features, specs, cost etc. Part Two: 5+ day trip taking each pack on a trip and reviewing its performance after the trip. If the people I am with or myself don't harvest on the trip, I will use that pack until I am able to have an actual pack out with it.

Please let me know in the comments:
  • Questions you have on each specific pack.
  • Tests you would like to see performed.
  • Anything else that comes to mind.
Thank you!

I and my husband use all the backpacks and they all are good to use very easy to carry and huge spaces in their backpack are plus.

HoneyDew

WKR
I was a little disappointed when when I saw the mystery ranch pack included was the cabinet. Would have preferred to see a more popular backpack hunting version represented like the metcalf or Beartooth. But nice job with the metrics and how you gathered your data. TP wet test “very scientific” 😂

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting these. Looking forward to the field testing.

I have the eberlestock F1, but with the tall frame. I was worried about the heavy load problem you showed with the regular frame. I have the X2 also, and it sits the same way on me. There is a high proportion of weight on the shoulder and the hip belt doesn't do enough. I think my torso is too long for it.

On the other hand, I have found the f1 tall frame to be much more comfortable.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was a little disappointed when when I saw the mystery ranch pack included was the cabinet. Would have preferred to see a more popular backpack hunting version represented like the metcalf or Beartooth. But nice job with the metrics and how you gathered your data. TP wet test “very scientific” 😂
I personally own that pack and when I reached out to Mystery Ranch I never heard back. That is why it was the cabinet.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just viewed that video. Super work @Zach Herold

Roksliders, you'll like this video, I especially found valuable the 157lb pack load segment! @Justin Crossley and I are working to get this ready to launch on our homepage next week. We'll post a link here too. You'll need 26 minutes, but it's really worth the watch. This is Part 1 btw, Zach will get us Part 2 sometime in the fall after each of the finalists have done a 3 day hunt.
I appreciate the kind words Robby thanks! I hope everyone enjoys.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great video. Surprised that the kuiu did so well. Have heard a few comfort complaints on them so maybe they've fixed that. Put a rain fly on that thing and it's the clear winner. Might have to try one on someday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
When KUIU updated their suspension to the "Pro Suspension" it solved a lot of issues.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice job Zach. Good info, cant wait for part 2.
I appreciate the kind words and support. Part 2 will be jam packed with actual uses directly from the field. I'm looking forward to making it!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great first video. I know backpacks are specific to people, but there were some surprises there. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to part 2.
Thanks for the support! Part 2 will be jam packed with actual uses directly from the field and should really expand on the packs functionality, durability, ease of loading hunting gear, and other experience that a hunt present. I'm looking forward to making it!

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting these. Looking forward to the field testing.

I have the eberlestock F1, but with the tall frame. I was worried about the heavy load problem you showed with the regular frame. I have the X2 also, and it sits the same way on me. There is a high proportion of weight on the shoulder and the hip belt doesn't do enough. I think my torso is too long for it.

On the other hand, I have found the f1 tall frame to be much more comfortable.
I would imagine the taller frame would help with the load and give the load lifters an opportunity to actually do their job.

HoneyDew

WKR
I personally own that pack and when I reached out to Mystery Ranch I never heard back. That is why it was the cabinet.
No you said it in the video and I understand that. And it probably wouldn’t have made much* of a difference given the material and frame should be similar/identical. But I know the new frame and hip belt would hopefully have made some difference. And of course I own the new Beartooth and was hoping for a comparison against the competition. Basically griping because it would have served my purposes better.