Backpack sleeping pad for lower back pain

Button

WKR
I can’t be the only one who’s had a herniated disc requiring a microdiscectomy. I still have pain but not like it was. Looking for suggestions for a sleeping pad. I’m not concerned about weight to an extent. As In I’m not packing in a 4” thick memory foam mattress topper like I do on my surf fishing trips when I use my tent cot. Comfy but not possible for backpacking.

I know it’ll require me testing out multiple pads, that’s no problem. I’m just looking for starting points from any of you guys/gals that have lower back pain that work for you. I need to ask my dad what he used when he hiked thru hiked the AT.

Sleep comfy
Wake up without my back completely cussing
Durable
Warm

Thanks, hope your back feels good today! Mine hurts from sleeping on a hotel mattress that I’m fairly sure was a mattress composed of thousands of wadded up plastic grocery bags.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back issues here so i try to manage the old body as best I can….ran an xped ultra for many yrs never an issue super liteweight, then got too close to the stove last fall🤣…was in a pinch hit rei and grabbed one of these….a little heavier but I sleep even better on it…..super cushy yet firm….here is a recent list of top tier to check out

Attachments

• 0CE063B4-3020-48BD-ABD7-79C4445AA4A8.png
    0CE063B4-3020-48BD-ABD7-79C4445AA4A8.png
    481.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 33193002-CF6F-4908-9F94-E92A5BB9393B.png
    33193002-CF6F-4908-9F94-E92A5BB9393B.png
    941.4 KB · Views: 54

mlgc20

WKR
The best thing for my back is sleeping with a small pillow or something similar in between my knees (side sleeper). I'm not sure about how all the biomechanics work. But, it makes a huge difference in how my back feels in the morning. I do this at home and on the trail.

The best thing for my back is sleeping with a small pillow or something similar in between my knees (side sleeper). I'm not sure about how all the biomechanics work. But, it makes a huge difference in how my back feels in the morning. I do this at home and on the trail.
I can’t be the only one who’s had a herniated disc requiring a microdiscectomy. I still have pain but not like it was. Looking for suggestions for a sleeping pad. I’m not concerned about weight to an extent. As In I’m not packing in a 4” thick memory foam mattress topper like I do on my surf fishing trips when I use my tent cot. Comfy but not possible for backpacking.

I know it’ll require me testing out multiple pads, that’s no problem. I’m just looking for starting points from any of you guys/gals that have lower back pain that work for you. I need to ask my dad what he used when he hiked thru hiked the AT.

Sleep comfy
Wake up without my back completely cussing
Durable
Warm

Thanks, hope your back feels good today! Mine hurts from sleeping on a hotel mattress that I’m fairly sure was a mattress composed of thousands of wadded up plastic grocery bags.

I second the pillow between the knees...world of difference keeping your hips and spine aligned on something like an inflatable thats not super ergonomic to your back. I don't have a major issue like the micro diseconomy you mentioned, but just like most I would assume, fight the stiffness and discomfort if you sleep poorly when you wake up in the morning.

Look at the Nemo File pillows. I carry 2 of these for a 5oz total weight penalty and use one under my head and one between my knees when on my side or under my knees when on my back to relive some of the lumbar pressure.

As for the pad, I have tried several and they are all about the same for me, I would just look for a thicker 4" one like the big Agnes one Ross mentioned above. Sea to Summit makes a nice one call the comfort plus if I recall. Just get something a little more aimed at comfort than ultra light.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Thanks everyone I will look into what y’all mentioned. As for the pillow between knees, I e tried it. I toss and turn to much most nights for it to stay put.

Rokwiia

WKR
I use an ExPed mat this is warm (Downmat or Synmat) and find the warmth keeps my back pliable throughout the night. In the past, I'd wake up with my back stiff and hurting. The warmth has helped. YMMV