Backpack Stove Review - MSR vs Jetboil ***Updated 2/3/20***

An update on this comparison:

Jetboil Flash -
I really like the coozie material on the outside and it doesn't burn your hands no matter how long you boil for. I do like the internal igniter, I haven't had any issues with it yet but have only really used it consistently for a week. It's nice having the option so you don't have to find your lighter. Doesn't seem like a big deal until its dark your cold, wet, tired and you can't find one. Largest con for me so far is just the feel of it... the components feel light and kinda cheap. The burner is also kind of loud and hasn't done as well in the wind.

MSR Windburner - Out of all, this was the one I thought I'd least like. Turning out it's the one I really like. Components feel tough. I'm however not a fan of the material they use on the outside of the cup to keep your hands from burning. After you've boiled water a while or boiled a lot of water, the material is hot and you can't hold onto it long at all. The burner isn't very loud on the Windburner, the least of the 3 actually. The largest downfall of this system is the weight. It's a bit heavier than the other 2, but does better in the wind than the Flash.

MSR Reactor - We used this stove a lot the first week of September. As you can tell just looking at them, it does very well in the wind. I do like how it sits fairly lower than the Windburner. Often times we're cooking on uneven ground and a stove that sticks way up gets top heavy. The burner is fairly loud on the Reactor as well.

If the Windburner had an internal igniter and a cup like the Jetboil, it'd be my perfect combination for their price point. The Reactor like I stated before is a bit more expensive than the other two but if mostly using it in the later seasons with cold and wind, the Reactor will be tough to beat.

I currently run the MSR windburner and do like it, but it doesn't do well in cold temps. Its probably the best in the wind, but as soon as temps get cold its really slows down. Not sure if the regulator is different than the reactor or not, but the reactor does better in the cold.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Reactor and really like it. It heats water quickly regardless of wind and wet weather and works when I am cooking and eating out of the bag. I have used it in below freezing temps but I slept with the canister in my sleeping bag etc.

I got a couple of Kovea Spiders this year to put into MSR Titan mugs for winter hunting. The Kovea can be inverted and should add about 10 to 15 degrees of additional operating range using the canister in below freezing temps.

The Reactor is my go to and has been for the past 3 seasons. My only complaint is that the bottom half of mine has separated from the rest of the pot, which is a pain in the ass to deal with. Haven't tried to have it replaced though, not sure what they'd tell me. I still use it as is because it hasn't lost any functionality, but it's certainly "broken". Either way, she heats up water faster than any other stove I've used and I'd buy it again with no reservations.

1967marti

FNG
If this is off in left field please ignore.... But in cold weather I'll shove a large hand warmer in the bottom concave area of the iso-fuel cans and it really helps. I've had it work well enough that I don't think twice when leaving my liquid burners at home.

I also like having the capability of holding a connected and externally cool unit while heating water. At brief rest stops I can dispense hot water into everyone's cups even as the remiaining water continues to heat. Then we can be on our way quickly. I just wish Jetboil would come out with a lighter burner assembly and lid; the pot and cozy are acceptably light, and they can't do anything about canister weight. Overall it is my most versitile pot/stove combo.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Windmaster as well. Very solid stove, never had issues with it. I haven’t done a comparison for like a boil time yet

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update:

Use all 3 stoves last week in ID/WY 8-10,000 ft. Temps from high teens to 50. I took the Jetboil with me twice on quick trips. It didn’t do well in the cold at all. I’d open the valve until I could hear fuel flow, then it would stop flowing in like 2 seconds. I’d open the valve more, hear fuel, before I could light it would stop. Opened a little more heard fuel, lit it and I almost lit my face on fire. This same scenario happened twice. Once at like 20 and the other at 40 degrees. Same elevation. I was using the Jetboil fuel canister with that stove.

Used the windburner a few times with still no complaints. In Idaho I used the Reactor and ended up having to melt a bunch of snow. No issues with that stove either and Ryan was impressed at how fast it melted snow and boiled. The one complaint with the reactor is how things fit in the pot. I can fit a canister with the stove but the lid won’t shut all the way. The stove won’t go in flat, has to be tilted. Not a big deal to me but something to note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update:

Use all 3 stoves last week in ID/WY 8-10,000 ft. Temps from high teens to 50. I took the Jetboil with me twice on quick trips. It didn’t do well in the cold at all. I’d open the valve until I could hear fuel flow, then it would stop flowing in like 2 seconds. I’d open the valve more, hear fuel, before I could light it would stop. Opened a little more heard fuel, lit it and I almost lit my face on fire. This same scenario happened twice. Once at like 20 and the other at 40 degrees. Same elevation. I was using the Jetboil fuel canister with that stove.

Used the windburner a few times with still no complaints. In Idaho I used the Reactor and ended up having to melt a bunch of snow. No issues with that stove either and Ryan was impressed at how fast it melted snow and boiled. The one complaint with the reactor is how things fit in the pot. I can fit a canister with the stove but the lid won’t shut all the way. The stove won’t go in flat, has to be tilted. Not a big deal to me but something to note.

awesome info. So, are you saying overall the windburner gets the vote?

An update on this comparison:

Jetboil Flash -
I really like the coozie material on the outside and it doesn't burn your hands no matter how long you boil for. I do like the internal igniter, I haven't had any issues with it yet but have only really used it consistently for a week. It's nice having the option so you don't have to find your lighter. Doesn't seem like a big deal until its dark your cold, wet, tired and you can't find one. Largest con for me so far is just the feel of it... the components feel light and kinda cheap. The burner is also kind of loud and hasn't done as well in the wind.

MSR Windburner - Out of all, this was the one I thought I'd least like. Turning out it's the one I really like. Components feel tough. I'm however not a fan of the material they use on the outside of the cup to keep your hands from burning. After you've boiled water a while or boiled a lot of water, the material is hot and you can't hold onto it long at all. The burner isn't very loud on the Windburner, the least of the 3 actually. The largest downfall of this system is the weight. It's a bit heavier than the other 2, but does better in the wind than the Flash.

MSR Reactor - We used this stove a lot the first week of September. As you can tell just looking at them, it does very well in the wind. I do like how it sits fairly lower than the Windburner. Often times we're cooking on uneven ground and a stove that sticks way up gets top heavy. The burner is fairly loud on the Reactor as well.

If the Windburner had an internal igniter and a cup like the Jetboil, it'd be my perfect combination for their price point. The Reactor like I stated before is a bit more expensive than the other two but if mostly using it in the later seasons with cold and wind, the Reactor will be tough to beat.

Jordan have you weighed the windburner without the plastic cup it comes with? Everyone says the windburner is heavy, but I think the listed weight includes the plastic cup which I always ditch since you can drink out of the pot. Plus the Reactor does not have a cup and you cannot use the pot to drink out of, which mean you need to bring a cup. At that point I think the weight is a wash.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan have you weighed the windburner without the plastic cup it comes with? Everyone says the windburner is heavy, but I think the listed weight includes the plastic cup which I always ditch since you can drink out of the pot. Plus the Reactor does not have a cup and you cannot use the pot to drink out of, which mean you need to bring a cup. At that point I think the weight is a wash.

No I haven’t. It won’t shed much weight at all, but I’ll weight it. Yeah all that about the Reactor is right and will be talked about in the final review.

Here is my Jetboil on fire. This is the Sumo that caught fire on the outside. I contacted Jetboil and their Customer service was good, but this scared the pooh out of me. I sold the replacement unit and have yet to use their 50% coupon. I have tried to use it but instead, purchased the MSR Reactor stove instead because of reviews like this and how I can fit an 8 ounce canister in the 1.7 liter pot.

Jetboil on fire.jpg

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my Jetboil on fire. This is the Sumo that caught fire on the outside. I contacted Jetboil and their Customer service was good, but this scared the pooh out of me. I sold the replacement unit and have yet to use their 50% coupon. I have tried to use it but instead, purchased the MSR Reactor stove instead because of reviews like this and how I can fit an 8 ounce canister in the 1.7 liter pot.

View attachment 128846

That’s nuts! It scared me too.. just finicky and I’m not a fan of them because of it. Good to know the 1.7 reactor fits everything inside. I have the 1 L for this test.