Backpack Stove Review - MSR vs Jetboil ***Updated 2/3/20***

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will you be including a fuel efficiency test in this review?

Depends how you consider the measurement for that. The largest test will be the boil times of the 3. We’ll also do the boil times with the Soto and pocket rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
weigh the fuel containers before and after you achieve boiling temperature. You would need a pretty accurate kitchen scale to do this I would imagine.

Do 5 or 10 boils with each having it's own fuel can and then weigh the can after. It will take a while but it'll be a much more accurate and thorough review.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I love my MSR reactor. I got the one that were made for the Navy SEALs! the heat exchanger fins are different on mine where they are part of the pot, not spot welded on like they are now it boils water usually in a minute flat!!!!

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reviews and follow up.
Conveniently, someone gifted me Prodeal coupon for future purchase. Already eyeballing the MiniMo system.

Have any of you used MSR fuel with Jetboil?

What else would you add to the cart?

It'll be my very first stove system for car camp or Hammock-Day-Hang.
No overnight nor high elevation...yet.

Agustas

FNG
I almost bought a Jetboil until my buddy told me they were anti hunting. I bought a MSR Reactor and my buddy bought the Windburner. We used both on Kodiak last week. The Reactor definately heats water faster with it's larger burner but you can get a frying pan for the Windburner and not the Reactor. I didn't think about that at the time but if I did it again I would buy the Windburner for that reason alone since I have IBS and have a very strict diet.
Wow! Didn’t know jetboil was anti hunting!

EastMT

WKR
Here is my Jetboil on fire. This is the Sumo that caught fire on the outside. I contacted Jetboil and their Customer service was good, but this scared the pooh out of me. I sold the replacement unit and have yet to use their 50% coupon. I have tried to use it but instead, purchased the MSR Reactor stove instead because of reviews like this and how I can fit an 8 ounce canister in the 1.7 liter pot.

View attachment 128846

I do not think that is rare, I’ve been looking for a jetboil and have come across 3 or 4 that are melted for sale cheap. Now that messes up all my research.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not think that is rare, I’ve been looking for a jetboil and have come across 3 or 4 that are melted for sale cheap. Now that messes up all my research.

The Flash had some flames... I though my eye brows were going to be gone. maybe that’s how they came up with the name. Haha.

EastMT

WKR
The Flash had some flames... I though my eye brows were going to be gone. maybe that’s how they came up with the name. Haha.

Hmmmm, emergency locator strobe, stove, beard trimmer all in one, I’ll take it!

prm

WKR
These are the good times in the world of camping/hunting gear. I used a 1st gen MSR pocket rocket for some years, then switched to a Jetboil zip and I’m now back using a pocket rocket 2 with an MSR Titan Ti kettle. I need to try a Reactor. Between the Zip and the PR 2, the boil times for 16oz of water, in no wind, is very similar with perhaps a small edge to the PR 2. I think that is because the PR allows for a stronger flame, but my guess that also results in more fuel being burned. I’ve never run out of fuel using a small canister with either stove so I’m not at a point where any difference in fuel usage matters. The insulated pot on the Zip keeps it warm longer, that can be a plus. The Ti kettle is somewhat more flexible in that I can use it over a campfire and I find it more stable when placed in pine needles, on a log, or uneven ground. I’ve had a couple times where the jet boil pot was sort of stuck to the base and water boiling over made it hard to turn off. The PR2/Ti kettle combo is easier to operate with gloves on.
If I needed to melt snow regularly, was going on an extended trip (>6days), or knew I was going to camp above tree line exposed to the wind, I’d take the Jetboil. The last two years though I’ve gone back to the PR2. It boils fast enough and I like the smaller form factor of the Titan kettle with PR2, a small fuel canister, and a BIC lighter inside. My camps are at 10,000’-11,500’ and I’ve had water accessible and able to tuck the stove behind a rock or log to keep it out of the wind.
Being a gear junky I can’t help but read the review and then want to try a Reactor.

Jordan, if you still have it handy, do have the weight of the 1L Reactor?

With a nearly full 3.9oz canister inside, the weights of mine are:

Jet Boil Zip: 17oz
PR2/Titan Ti kettle: 13oz

The BIC lighter does not fit inside the Zip, but it does fit inside the Titan kettle even with the fuel and PR2.

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are the good times in the world of camping/hunting gear. I used a 1st gen MSR pocket rocket for some years, then switched to a Jetboil zip and I’m now back using a pocket rocket 2 with an MSR Titan Ti kettle. I need to try a Reactor. Between the Zip and the PR 2, the boil times for 16oz of water, in no wind, is very similar with perhaps a small edge to the PR 2. I think that is because the PR allows for a stronger flame, but my guess that also results in more fuel being burned. I’ve never run out of fuel using a small canister with either stove so I’m not at a point where any difference in fuel usage matters. The insulated pot on the Zip keeps it warm longer, that can be a plus. The Ti kettle is somewhat more flexible in that I can use it over a campfire and I find it more stable when placed in pine needles, on a log, or uneven ground. I’ve had a couple times where the jet boil pot was sort of stuck to the base and water boiling over made it hard to turn off. The PR2/Ti kettle combo is easier to operate with gloves on.
If I needed to melt snow regularly, was going on an extended trip (>6days), or knew I was going to camp above tree line exposed to the wind, I’d take the Jetboil. The last two years though I’ve gone back to the PR2. It boils fast enough and I like the smaller form factor of the Titan kettle with PR2, a small fuel canister, and a BIC lighter inside. My camps are at 10,000’-11,500’ and I’ve had water accessible and able to tuck the stove behind a rock or log to keep it out of the wind.
Being a gear junky I can’t help but read the review and then want to try a Reactor.

Jordan, if you still have it handy, do have the weight of the 1L Reactor?

With a nearly full 3.9oz canister inside, the weights of mine are:

Jet Boil Zip: 17oz
PR2/Titan Ti kettle: 13oz

The BIC lighter does not fit inside the Zip, but it does fit inside the Titan kettle even with the fuel and PR2.

It’s the same weight as the Flash. I believe 16 oz. let me double check that though, and that’s not with a fuel canister.

I have had poor luck with my jetboil micromo plugging and after having it "fixed" it has never fully recovered. Customer service was less than desirable with a product 1 month out of warranty. Have switched to ther 1.7L Reactor and It seems to be more robust and better overall design for the trying backcountry. MSR is a better supporter of the hunting community as well.

JLesniak

FNG
I'm going to have to check out that Reactor. I've been using a Jet Boil for the past few years backpacking and camping but experienced the same melting outside and that always worried me. Switched to the TOAKS & BRS setup which I love for the weight savings but would like to see the Reactor still.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finishing up this written review. Included I did the efficiency test.. due to living in the middle of nowhere and lack of fuel canisters I did 5 boils each and let the stove cool down each time before doing the next boil. Plus dumped the water and added the same temp water every time. Temps were 65 degrees, I live at 4,500 ft and the canister used on each stove was a Jetboil brand. I weighed the canister before and after the 5 boils for a difference.

Jetboil Flash boiled in 1:19 and used 20g of fuel after 5 boils.

MSR Windburner boiled in 1:28 and used 26g of fuel after 5 boils.

MSR Reactor boiled in 1:51 and used 23g of fuel after 5 boils.

In no way do I consider myself a scientist so I wouldn't consider this info concrete fact but it's what I found. In all honesty for me this info is useless because I need a stove that is going to be reliable every time and if it takes an extra few seconds to boil then whatever. I'll also say I think the Jetboil's efficiency is going to decline with the wind based on my experiences with it in the field.

Stay tuned for the written review and video.. also a podcast coming soon about my findings.