Backpack Training...

Anybody worried about keeping "hunting gear" stored compressed in your training pack year round? It was my impression you need to leave things uncompressed and not squished into weird places until you need to pack it for a trip. I'd hate to trim with expensive gear all year long to find out it's not up to a Backcountry hunt come game time.

I've always used sand or kitty litter as a weight in my pack because it's cheap and if I had to dump it I'm not losing anything expensive or hurting the environment.

As hunting season gets close I start training with my full kit. The only exception is my sleeping bag. I leave it hanging in the closet, I fill its stuff sack with a blanket so I have the same volume and close to the same weight.

ElkNut1

WKR
mrbillbrown, I don't worry about that no more than I worry about leaving my bow strung all year. When my pack is not in use it sits on a shelf or on the floor, it's not hanging on a peg in the air. Never had any issues to date.

I do not put weight in the bag of my Exo, instead I strap weight to the frame & secure with the provided compression straps. I too use sand as a starter then add steel weights 2-1/2 lbs to 5# at a time.

ElkNut1

OP
moeleo

moeleo

WKR
The best part is that it's all for low pay and completely manual labor. I lost almost 30lb last summer and covered nearly 250 miles between 9-11k in elevation. Came back for a second season. I'm also able to do quite a bit of scouting while I'm out working as well.

Yeah but it ain't all about money for me anymore. If I could get on a job like that I would almost jump on it! When I'm in the woods or the mountains is when I feel the best. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, whether it's hiking, camping or hunting. I just want to be out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk