Backpack Upgrade

Ryan1911

FNG
Hello Everyone,
Currently have a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and would like to Keep it and upgrade to a larger back pack, have $450 Gift card to go hunt so It would have to be a Mystery Ranch Marshall or one of the Stone Glacier Packs, Can any one provide some feed back on the Stone Glacier Packs vs Mystery Ranch?

Thanks

OldGrayJB

WKR
I really like my SG Sky 5900. The X-curve frame fits my back. Hip belt stays where I want it and I like the simple bag layout.

Do you like the way your Metcalf fits and carries weight?

OP
R

Ryan1911

FNG
I’m happy with the fit but feel like it carries weight too low on the back

If your MR frame fits you well and 85L is enough capacity for your needs, you could buy a MR Beartooth bag only and put it on your existing frame. If your frame is a first generation Guide Light (non-MT), you'd also need a buckle conversion kit to put a second generation bag on it. MR doesn't sell a Marshall bag only for some reason, but you can occasionally find them in the secondhand market.

to me, mystery ranch makes a great pack IF their frame fits you well. the yoke is of course adjustable, but there is a fairly small window in the adjustment that fits well.... when i get the torso the right fit, the frame no longer fits me well... the popup actually fits me better than their guidelight mt.... i have not bought a SG and probably won't ever based on their frame height, but it's very rare to hear anything negative about them.

if i lived in/hunted in more open country, i would at least try a SG, but i want no part of a 26" frame over here on the coast getting hung up on everything non stop.... if the MR doesn't carry weight really well for you, it's worth trying a SG.... packs are a big purchase, you are ahead of the game if you buy the right pack, then you don't need to worry about wondering if there is a better pack out there for you.

my suggestion is get a SG this time, if you like your MR better, sell the SG (they have great resale) and buy a bigger bag for your MR.

i have bought and tried a bunch of packs over the years, and there is a big difference in comfort and capability between them.... my list of favorite packs may not be the same as the next guy, but in your position, it's worth trying something different, because if it's a better fit, that's a "game changer" (i hate that term, haha)

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SG pack with the X-Curve and my dad uses the MR Metcalf. We both agree the MR hip belt is more comfortable with heavier loads but I personally like the feel of the SG shoulder straps better and how it curves more on my back. Quality seems the same but his pack has more internal pockets if you're into that sort of thing. Order a SG and take them both out for a walk

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Ryan1911

FNG
Thank you for the information, probably time to try out a stone glacier pack , leaning towards the talus 6900 over the sky archer 6400

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16