Backpack workouts

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Backpack workouts are overrated imo. Have a steady workout routine that includes full body and cardio, plenty of core exercises and a balanced diet and you'll be able to pack with the best of them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Backpack workouts are overrated imo. Have a steady workout routine that includes full body and cardio, plenty of core exercises and a balanced diet and you'll be able to pack with the best of them.

I disagree completely. While having a normal routine is very important, sport specific training is still crucial.

That’s like saying that you don’t really need to “train” for a marathon as long as you have a general workout plan.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Found a use for my dry rotted boat tie downs on the Alice( don’t have a pack) loaded with 80# for my heavy pack day. Added a couple straps and clips to the nice frame loaded with 65# for the long day. Got a tri zip pack,no load shelf for that.Need to move some weight higher, and a towel between weights. Sound like a dinner bell through the trails.

Attachments

• 060582F2-BE78-4D0F-AA34-7DDB4E2CA988.jpeg
    060582F2-BE78-4D0F-AA34-7DDB4E2CA988.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 49

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I alternate between 50lb and 80lb bags of cement. I only use the EXO crib panel and maybe the lid. A couple times I have put both bags on and gone 1.5 miles just to see what I can do.

I use some combo of a 35lbs kettlebell and a 6gal water can which weighs about 50lbs full. Great part of the water is I can dump it out at the top of one the hills I do and come down with just the 35lbs to save the knees.

I usually pack a 50lb sand bag up and down hills for an hour or hour and a half a few days a week. That really gets me ready for elk season.

2 years ago the sandbag I bought was 62lbs, so total pack weight was closer to 70lbs. Hiked with that 3-5 days per week all spring and summer. I was pretty unstoppable during elk season.

Last July my daughter was born. I try to hike 10-15 miles per week up and down hills with her since she was a month old. Won’t be as good of a work out as the heavy sandbag, but we both enjoy all the time outdoors together.

Jotis

WKR
I alternate between 50lb and 80lb bags of cement. I only use the EXO crib panel and maybe the lid. A couple times I have put both bags on and gone 1.5 miles just to see what I can do.
How do you attach the lid with the load crib

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
How do you attach the lid with the load crib
I got a set of the K3 1800 Lid straps. I just click in the straps to the lid and then run the hooks through a webbing slot in the crib panel. It puts a slight twist on the strap but it's no big deal. Locks down tight. Definitely recommended.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
d721c731ad6b22147e0c10779da8d4bf.jpg

Try pulling a 50lb sand bag on a tire. Best workout to build climbing muscles without having the weight on your back. I normally do this workout without a pack but in the photo was weeks before season so I was doubling down on the sweat equity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you using for a harness to pull the tire? Thanks.

10ringer

WKR
What are you using for a harness to pull the tire? Thanks.

I use a weight belt like the one in this photo. It’s connected to 1/4” steel cable which connects to an Eye-bolt on the tire. My buddy has a similar setup and is using an old EXO belt with a tie down strap tied to the belt.
1b9f0dbafecd370ebe2a96d9001c2675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's an option for you or not, but practicing for the real thing is your best bet. I do a backpack trip every weekend thru the summer so I can carry the same year I'd Cary on a hunt. It also allows me to test different gear and food so that when Sept. hits I'm already dialed in.

RLam

FNG
Yep I use a bag of water softener salt in the load shelf. I keep the bag on so I can use my water bladder and It adds a bit more weight with the goodies I never take out of my pack
That's a great idea thanks for sharing!

I add bottles of water to slowly increase the payload. After Police were called in to check out the "strange vagrant" circling the block in our neighbor, after that I added a cover to my pack so people would not think I am a homeless guy. I like to make a statement to the liberals in my hood.

b9527edc-8962-4de9-98cc-e1127367f2be_zps987c725f.jpg