Backpack workouts

Maldavis

FNG
Wondering what everyone does to add weight to pack for their summer workouts? Do you typically use the load shelf or just put in bag and cinch straps?
I’m sure this has been addressed before just bored sitting on deck on a hot summer night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I use a bag of water softener salt in the load shelf. I keep the bag on so I can use my water bladder and It adds a bit more weight with the goodies I never take out of my pack

50 lb bag of sand wrapped in duct tape secured to the pack frame with a cargo net. Add one or two 10 lb plate weights on top of the sandbag if I'm feeling salty.

I’m lucky enough right now that I just have my rain gear, water bladder, gps, InReach, cell phone, knife and pistola, jump on the atv, leave the rv park and head up the forest road and pick a spot to hike/scout after work. Not into the heavy packs until I’m ready to hike my camp in and an elk out. Then it’s painful whether a guy works out with a heavy pack year around or not. My knees and feet hate heavy until it’s really time. No point in wearing them out any faster than I need to. But the cardio is awesome with a typical daypack type weight on my hike/scout trips. I see deer, elk and or believe it or not antelope on these forays almost everytime. Like I said, I am lucky

I use a 45# and 20# goruck weight plate in my pack when I do stadium stairs or if im doing targeted leg strength training. If I do a longer distance hike, Ill carry my actual loaded pack and add a 20lb plate to it.

If you want to do cardio and really work over your legs without much impact, get an airbike. This time of year, I use it nearly every day, usually in intervals. Today I did 5 rounds of 5 min at a pretty fast pace on the airbike and 2 minutes of max push ups. 35 min and youre done. Ive yet to find anything else that works me over quite like the airbike. A rower would be a distant 2nd. Guess they call it the devils tricycle for a reason. I use the assault airbike, Rogue makes one, the echo bike, and you can even get an old schwinn fanbike on craigslist for under 100 bucks if you keep your eye out.

Last edited:

Mban2

FNG
Extended Time under load cannot be trained in any ways other than having extended time under load. I would just put your desired weight into the bag in a way that it won’t slosh around and is comfortable.
Outside of weighted training, cycling is one of the better ways to train your leg muscles to constantly be under tension. It’s not a 1:1 training effect, but it is a solid, low impact way of putting hours of cardio in

Jake T

FNG
50 lb bag of sand wrapped in duct tape secured to the pack frame with a cargo net. Add one or two 10 lb plate weights on top of the sandbag if I'm feeling salty.
I do this too. 40 lbs in March, 50 in April/May, 60 starting in June

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I drop two 25lb bags of rubber mulch in my pack and it fills it up just right. I do walking lunges, 10-15 trips up and down the high school bleachers, and normal hiking for my workouts. Or sometimes I'll set up my archery target at 40 yds, shoot 2 arrows, and do walking lunges to the target and back with the pack on. Repeat 5x

Shraggs

WKR
Wondering what everyone does to add weight to pack for their summer workouts? Do you typically use the load shelf or just put in bag and cinch straps?
I’m sure this has been addressed before just bored sitting on deck on a hot summer night.

I bought the stryker as a dedicated work out bag and whitetail tools for trimming stands. I keep 20 lbs of tools and use the clam load shelf to add a combination of plates and sand bags.

I used to use multiple 15 lbs plates in the bag, but switched to one 60 lb bag of Quickcreet (taped inside a contractor bag) in the load shelf. Loose some flexibility, but less awkward.

As others have said, I feel like there’s no better way to train for carrying a heavy pack than just doing it. And to take that a step further, getting off trail/road etc. seems important. All the little lateral adjustments that my legs and core make when sidehilling or just crossing uneven ground with a heavy load really seem to add up and are tough to replicate in the gym.

Good reminder to get back out there and hit it hard—elk season will be here before I know it. Now if only OR would release the draw results….

10ringer

WKR
d721c731ad6b22147e0c10779da8d4bf.jpg

Try pulling a 50lb sand bag on a tire. Best workout to build climbing muscles without having the weight on your back. I normally do this workout without a pack but in the photo was weeks before season so I was doubling down on the sweat equity.

Load shelf. I used a heavy-duty rafting dry bag that I fill with cheap sand from Home Depot. Can easily change the weights