backpack

Moe.JKU

FNG
Hey I was just trying to get some thoughts you guys have on a decision I have to make. I have only been using a milti day pack lately but I feel as though it wouldn't be enough for a sheep hunt obviously. Now I can buy a cheaper backpack like the cabellas Alaskan outfitter with frame. Or do you think I should wait it out and plan my sheep hunt next year when I can get a Mystery ranch bag because they are bombproof and hunting up near Alaska can take a toll on equipment. All opinions are much appreciated.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well, I wouldn't use the MR pack because it weighs about 9-11 lbs depending on which one you get, and feels like shit on your lower back. It reminds of the old Alice pack from my Army days.

I switched to Kifaru's Duplex Timberline (with lid is roughly 8,000 Cubic Inch capacity). Weighs 6.5 lbs.

I also have two Cabela's Alaska Guide model packs and external frames, and have always loved them for what they are used for. But if you're wanting to buy one pack to last the rest of your hunting days...the Kifaru is spendy but well worth the coin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Moe.JKU

FNG
That is the plan better to buy one pack than a bunch. but if the Alaskan pack is good which I have seen in some reviews it might be worth the gamble. I am researching the more expensive packs now as well kifaru is up there same as stone glacier and kuiu. Maybe ill get a pack and then add a frame next year.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The Cabela's frames break pretty easy. I would not want to count on one of those for a sheep hunt. I would save my money and get a quality pack. Kifaru has some great options along with some other high end brands.

You can also look at some of the backpacking packs and save some money but still get a really high quality pack.

I own multiple Kifarus and a MR NICE frame. They both fit very nice. The Kifarus are a bit lighter, but the MR is a great pack as well. I definitely recommend saving the few hundred dollars and getting a pack from one of the higher end manufacturers.

Save your money and get a higher end pack. You'll thank yourself in the end. Look at stone glacier, MR, Kifaru and see which one fits you the best and you like the most and roll with it!

Jay

FNG
If you can afford a sheep hunt, then getting a high end pack should be no brainer.

OP
M

Moe.JKU

FNG
Alright looks like ill just wait. and keep my options open. I know I want a good pack, I just saw that one had some reviews on here even that were not that bad. Tahnks for your help. Cheers