Backpackers Pantry- Favorite Meals

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Have a discount code for BP that makes dehydrated food affordable. I know historically Mountain House and other brands are more highly regarded but I’m interested in Backpackers Pantry favorites. Gotta have something palatable...?

mlgc20

WKR
The Sweet and Sour Chicken is excellent. I bring some wonton strips from home and sprinkle on top. Great meal. The Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Pad Thai with chicken are both good as well. I would avoid the Mac and Cheese. Their egg dishes are not worthwhile. And in the name of all that is holy, do not get the Cincinnati chili. That stuff is OK in Cincinnati I guess. But, it has no business in the backcountry.

Poser

WKR
Alpine Aire has some good meals. I like the Thai Style Chicken quite a bit. Some of their other offerings suck, though.

I like the backpacker's shepherds pie or whatever they call it.

My order of favorites is:
1. Alpine aire
2. Backpacker's pantry
3. Mountain house

Jury is still out on peak refuel for me...

The Sweet and Sour Chicken is excellent. I bring some wonton strips from home and sprinkle on top. Great meal. The Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Pad Thai with chicken are both good as well. I would avoid the Mac and Cheese. Their egg dishes are not worthwhile. And in the name of all that is holy, do not get the Cincinnati chili. That stuff is OK in Cincinnati I guess. But, it has no business in the backcountry.
I can second the Fettuccine Alfredo! Good stuff

TxAg2017

FNG
I’m not a huge fan of the Pad Thai. I got a bunch on sale and to me and my hunting partner, the flavor profile and textures just isn’t that appealing to me. Maybe it’s just us and our taste buds. I eat just about everything and didn’t complain when I had a warm meal at the end of the day but probably won’t buy more of them. My hunting partner seems to like the fettuccine Alfredo and he adds either chicken or salmon packets to it to give it more volume and protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a huge fan of the Pad Thai. I got a bunch on sale and to me and my hunting partner, the flavor profile and textures just isn’t that appealing to me. Maybe it’s just us and our taste buds. I eat just about everything and didn’t complain when I had a warm meal at the end of the day but probably won’t buy more of them. My hunting partner seems to like the fettuccine Alfredo and he adds either chicken or salmon packets to it to give it more volume and protein.

If you know how to cook Pad Thai, and check the Backpackers Pantry ingredient list, it will explain why it didn’t appeal to your taste buds. Somebody was smoking something when they came up with that recipe and called it Pad Thai.

lokifox

FNG
I actually really enjoyed this one. Picked up a few for $5 or so on closeout and had to give it a try at home.

Seems that the shelf life is pretty short on them, but I would guess that it's completely attributable to the peanut butter packet.

I wish I had bought more in retrospect. It's very different from the other common "Asian themed" meals out there.

RDT415

FNG
I like the red beans and rice, not bad and fairly inexpensive. Fettucine Alfredo is really good as well, bit more spendy.

I am not at all a fan of BP Pad Thai, as far as flavor and texture. Also, when I make a freeze dried meal at the end of a long day, I don’t want it to be a 4-step process with lots of little individual baggies. I want to just mix the water and be done with it.

The Chana Masala and Cuban Beans/Rice meals are pretty good I think, and have one of the best calorie/$ ratios of any instant freeze dried meals. I find that their water recommendations for those leave it a bit runny. I believe both of those are in the neighborhood of 850 calories, which is almost too big sometimes.