Backpackers Pantry or Good to Go

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider
Didn’t find anything via search.

Anyone have opinions about Backpackers Pantry brand or Good to Go meals?

I eat pretty clean at home and am trying to find an option thats not gonna tear me up, cause inflammation, etc.... oh and that tastes ok too

Appreciate any thoughts!

OP
D

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider
I should add...

I tend to eat alot. And I “bonk” easy if I exert myself without eating enough. I think this is called hypoglycemic???

Add to this Im a flat lander from Texas, so Im a little worried about energy levels in a mountain environment with significant elevation gains each day hunting. ( not to mention less oxygen)

I am fit. Work out alot. 5’11” and 175lbs @ 13% body fat. Just in case that helps give context

tlkaetz

WKR
Backpackers Pantry is about the same as Mountain House. I've never tried Good to Go. I would highly recommend PEAK Refuel!!

Pootros

FNG
You ever tried MaryJanes Farm foods? Essentially the super fancy version of Mountain House. Organic and all that. It tastes great but they are fairly proud of it.

Specialk

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Heather’s Choice, they’ve been a good option for “healthier” backcountry food and taste good

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
I should add...

I tend to eat alot. And I “bonk” easy if I exert myself without eating enough. I think this is called hypoglycemic???

Add to this Im a flat lander from Texas, so Im a little worried about energy levels in a mountain environment with significant elevation gains each day hunting. ( not to mention less oxygen)

I am fit. Work out alot. 5’11” and 175lbs @ 13% body fat. Just in case that helps give context
I like the mountain houses. So I can't help you there.

But I do carry a ziplock with a cup of minute rice. I just dump that in with the meal and it bulks it up significantly. It takes on the flavor of whatever meal, you don't notice it at all. It's super light. Just make sure you add enough water for the extra rice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I would buy some of these meals and try eating them at home first. I’m similar to you in that my food intake very much effects my performance.

Backpackers Pantry sucks. I tried a couple and I won’t eat them.
I don’t have much experience with Good to Go meals, but I have had one and it was ok.

I prefer a combination of Heather’s Choice, Alpine Aire and Next Nile Meals (I add instant rice since these are Keto).

Mosby

WKR
I have tried a number of different brands. The last Mountain House I ate tasted great and tore me up, so no more MH. Other brands were ok but had very little flavor. Pack it Gourmet is by far the best tasting dehydrated meals I have tried and right now the only brand I buy. I like Thai food and a cheap grocery store alternative to pack in is Taste of Thai Peanut noodles. Under $3 and really good. If I am only going out for a couple of nights I bring two of the Taste of Thai for dinner.

The Thai and Korean meals from G2G are good, though I would ignore the portion size recommendation. I wasn't as impressed with the spaghetti, but it's just spaghetti with sauce. I like a mix of G2G and Packit Gourmet to add to homemade foods and bars. Never been sick from any of them.

mvrk28

WKR
Backpacker's Pantry is disgusting IMO. Peak Refuel is great, Mountain House isn't bad either. For breakfast it is really hard to beat the oatmeals from Off Grid.

twall13

WKR
A little bit of an older thread but I agree with mvrk28, Off Grid Predator Fuel is hard to beat for breakfast. Peak Refuel has some really good options for dinners. I don't mind some Mountain House but I also know it's loaded with sodium, etc. so I try to limit how much I eat and mix in some better options over the course of a trip.

Off Grid has some dinners now as well if you can find them in stock. I think they do one batch a week and they sell out fairly quickly. I haven't tried those yet but intend to at some point.

twall13

WKR
Thanks for the comparison. The two Peak Refuel meals I've tried, Beef Marinera and Chicken Alfredo, aren't quite as high in sodium as the sweet pork and rice you compared with the Mtn. House, but they are still higher than I thought. They were both very good but that doesn't solve the problem of eating healthier while in the mountains. Peak will get you more protien than Mtn. House so that's a plus but I wish it didn't have all that sodium. All the more reason I'm hopeful for Off Grid to come out with some good stuff that's actually available for purchase. At this point, Off Grid's labels are lacking, but from what I've heard the owner say on podcasts I doubt their meals will have as much sodium in them.

Back in 2017 Aron Snyder was testing some meals from Humble Foods. Jordan Budd might have mentioned them as well if memory serves. All the feedback I heard was positive but they still haven't released anything to the public as far as I'm aware.

Mitten32

WKR
The back packer pantry gave me bad enough gas to knock buzzards of a meat wagon for whatever reason. For quality of ingredients, taste, and packability the Heather’s choice chili and salmon chowder are hard to beat. Off grids Blue razz oatmeal is hands down my favorite breakfast but you can make your own that tastes close enough very easily for a fraction of the coast. Peak refuel chicken Alfredo is very tasty as is their sweet pork. Although I’m not a huge fan of their sweet pork having over 40 g of sugar.

I just tried the Peak Refuel Breakfast Skillet for dinner before buying any more. I could barely finish it due to how much food was in it. Taste is amazing! I will be buying more!

Jetro94

FNG
Didn’t find anything via search.

Anyone have opinions about Backpackers Pantry brand or Good to Go meals?

I eat pretty clean at home and am trying to find an option thats not gonna tear me up, cause inflammation, etc.... oh and that tastes ok too

Appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks for starting this! I’ve been looking for better options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk