backpacking alarm clock

RUTTIN

WKR
What are you guys using for a lightweight alarm clock? I don't wear a watch, but guess I could pack one for an alarm, thanks in advance.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
GPS alarm clock as well. I don't wear a watch so its the next best thing. If I did I would obviously wear a watch.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't wear a watch, but I always have my Timex Ironman watch in one of my pants side pockets while hunting, so that's the alarm I use.

I don't carry a phone much, and if I left my GPS on all night I'd have to carry more batteries than I want to.

beaston

FNG
Do the new gps models have some sort of a sleep mode to save batteries? Seems most have a 16 hour battery life at best. This means every two nights they need new batteries especially if you use them some during the day..

If so what models are we talking (guess i could do some research)

Bryan

beaston

FNG
Answered my own question..

The oregon 600 for example can be set to turn on at a specified time and alarm sounded per owners manual. Good to know, I have an older Colorado that has a maximum battery life of 6-8 hours. I will probably sell to upgrade just for this reason.. These new GPS units are nicely featured with time/temp/altimeter/compass and alarm. Never was a watch person..

jherald

WKR
My dad taught me a trick from his military days, drink a lot of water before you go to bed and you'll wake up when you need to, because you have to!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't wear a watch, but I always have my Timex Ironman watch in one of my pants side pockets while hunting, so that's the alarm I use.

I don't carry a phone much, and if I left my GPS on all night I'd have to carry more batteries than I want to.

On most Garmins you dont' have to leave it on....in fact after you set the alarm it asks you if you'd like to turn of the GPS, and it will just come on at that specified time to wake ya up.

Atleast this is how it works on my Garmin Extrex 20 and my Garmin Rinos 530s and 650.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhmBE0Rr-g