Backpacking bear food storage

Archer_32

FNG
Looking to go on my first bear hunt this spring in Montana. I've never hunted in bear country and where I'm looking at is heavy grizzly and black bear. What are people using for food storage on backcountry trips of say 3-4 days? I've looked at the ursack, bear vault, and the sabre bear canister. All are fairly spendy but I like the idea of the ursack just for being able to pack easier. What, and how, are people sotring their backcountry food? I'm open to other canisters those are just a few of the ones I've found. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I backpack in thick black bear country and use a dry bag in a tree. I’m not worried about them messing with me when I’m around but really them shredding my tent when I’m out during the day. I eat at camp but not in my tent and never have had an issue. I don’t have any experience with the scary bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
IME, National Park bears and bears in hunting units are two totally different animals.

Someone might want to tell the guy that wrote the article above that fact....sheesh.

NP bears will talk right up and take your food. I've had them false charge us in little Yosemite valley...hoping we would drop our food on the ground or back off so they could plunder it. I've had bears in YNP stand on their hind legs and pull on the steel cables fastened to the tree trying to bounce the food off the cable hung between 2 trees.

Hunting unit bears are not nearly that^ smart....more opportunists. I've seen plenty of bears in hunting units....and those bears want nothing to do with humans. Sure they will come around campsites at night...or if you aren't around ...but they aren't savvy to food hung properly in a tree.

I say that myth of Andrew Skurka's is busted.

________

87TT

WKR
I can say with experience that two black bears couldn't defeat my Ursack in the Sierras several years ago and it weighs 7 oz. I think vs 2 lbs for the Bear Vault can.

Reactions: dla
OP
A

Archer_32

FNG
I can say with experience that two black bears couldn't defeat my Ursack in the Sierras several years ago and it weighs 7 oz. I think vs 2 lbs for the Bear Vault can.
The weight was precisely the appeal of the ursack, even though it is suggested to also buy the scent proof sack if going this route.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I used to backpack a lot in the Sierra before I moved to ID. There were several Wildernesses that required bear cans and finally allowed the Ursack. The last time I went a few years ago, the NPS in Yosemite hadn't approved the Ursack but I never hiked there. They have a heavy plastic bag that you use inside it that doesn't weigh much at all. They can be reused but are replaceable. Ideally in country with grizzlies I would use the Ursack and hang it. Even in the Sierra I would just hang my food without any protection unless it was required and open to hunting. Unless you were on busy trails or near popular camping areas, there usually wasn't a problem. The problem with hanging was from bears used to stealing food. They had learned and passed on to their young to climb the tree and jump and grab the bag and pill it down. Grizzlies don't climb so I would take the Ursack and use it like a bear bag and hang it.

As for my experience. I was waiting out a snow storm in my tent next to a 10,000 foot trout lake in Oct when I heard through the wind what sounded like someone yelling to the camp. My lab/ridgeback pup heard it too and set off the alarm. I held her back as I poked my head out. I found two bears fighting over the Ursack that was tied to a tree branch. I fired a warning shot from my pistol and they lit out never to be seen again for the rest of the week. The Ursack was fine with a few teeth marks, The food inside was a little beat up but still there.

87TT

WKR
One plus for the Bear cans are , you can use them for a seat. I still own a Garcia, Bear Vault and the Ursack.

I backpack in thick black bear country and use a dry bag in a tree. I’m not worried about them messing with me when I’m around but really them shredding my tent when I’m out during the day. I eat at camp but not in my tent and never have had an issue. I don’t have any experience with the scary bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Have shot bears within 50 yards of my hanging food, has never been messed with when it's hanging in a lightweight dry bag...just hang it 10+ft off the ground and 6+ft from the tree. That said I don't hunt around campsites, those bears are crafty and will figure out a way to steal your pick-a-nick basket and shred your truck if you leave a door unlocked or a window cracked.

dry bag utilizing the PCT method...

there are several youtube videos on it...it takes 15 seconds and is very easy. the only way I do it now and never had any issues

I'm with everyone else on this, just hang a dry sack in an appropriate location and I have yet to have any issues. Planning on switching to the PCT hang next year though. Seems like it would be better than a traditional hang, especially if you're around bears that have become accustomed to people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This. Have shot bears within 50 yards of my hanging food, has never been messed with when it's hanging in a lightweight dry bag...just hang it 10+ft off the ground and 6+ft from the tree. That said I don't hunt around campsites, those bears are crafty and will figure out a way to steal your pick-a-nick basket and shred your truck if you leave a door unlocked or a window cracked.
I used to live and work in Yosemite. You don't need to leave a window cracked or a door unlocked. A bear can open your door like a sardine can if they wanted in. They hook their claws over the top of the frame, and boom. Peel it down like nothing. They can be inside your car and torn through your seat in about a minute. I watched a bear walking through a parking lot one night busting windows out of cars. Just nonchalantly walking through and slapping the windows with a paw. If the NPS found any food wrapper or anything with a smell on it in your car, you get a ticket. If your car is clean and the smelly stuff put in the bear boxes like instructed, they pay for the damage to the vehicle. At least it used to work that way not sure if they still do. Saw them write plenty of tickets to people with cars that were broken into.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk