Backpacking firearm

My “other” backpacking gun in a .454 Casull with stout 360 gr loads and shot shell I’ve made out of .444 Marlin brass. The shot shells work better than the CCI junk. I’ve also taken a couple of ptarmigan and a WY grouse with those.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Serious question - for those who carry something to shoot snakes, under what circumstances do you shoot them? If you get a snake in your tent? If it’s just on a trail, wouldn’t you be able to just back up or walk a way? I’m not trying to criticize, and I may be biased because I’m fascinated by snakes. (My wife is the opposite, and she wants me to kill any found.)

I lived in Oklahoma for a decade one year. All venomous snakes in the yard were immediately killed. All non venomous snakes were left alone. I even had a big old non venomous snake of some sort (can’t remember what species) living in my shop for a while. We let each other alone and he helped control the mouse and rat population. If there was any public land to speak of (there isn’t) and I did any hiking in OK (I didn’t) I think I’d have pretty much let all snake be on the trail. Maybe 🤔
Fortunately venomous snakes aren’t an issue where I now live/hike/hunt.

It was actually two years… so two decades 😉
The people were nice and so was the bbq.
We bought a nice house with a little land hoping that would make up for all of the things we’d miss about AK and WY. It didn’t. No real mountains and no public land. Paying someone to watch a corn feeder is not my idea of hunting. Nothing wrong with it, but not for me. I did get to go hog dogging with some guys from work. That was awesome.

Cubera67

FNG
My “other” backpacking gun in a .454 Casull with stout 360 gr loads and shot shell I’ve made out of .444 Marlin brass. The shot shells work better than the CCI junk. I’ve also taken a couple of ptarmigan and a WY grouse with those.

That’s a helluva backpack gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a helluva backpack gun!

It’s not what I’d call ultralight! It’s a five shot ruger single action with a 6” barrel. It is lighter than any rifle I own though. I wouldn’t carry it as a backup to another weapon. Only as a primary for either hiking in bear country or hunting a handgun only season/unit. For a backup gun while bow hunting etc I have a Sig Sauer 10mm 1911. Though I’d like to get a Springfield XDM 10mm to cut some weight.

Last edited:

Calcoyote

FNG
This is usually what I’m carrying on my back when I’m fishing, and just a nice thing to have in base camp/boat gun. Fully loaded with 7–3”mag 12 ga. slugs.
0877496bdc31d2a2adb0493fff0916cb.jpg

I have done a lot of backpacking over the years and you don't need a gun like that....until you need it and then it is really nice to have.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Its all a function of where you are backpacking, eh?

If its a big bear area...a small caliber rifle is pretty worthless.

So for example, on remote archery deer hunts in most states I'm most likely to encounter 1) Rattlesnakes, 2) black bears, 3) mtn lions....so my G19 with the first cartridge snake shot and the balance being hardcast rounds is a light but effective weapon.

In some areas you might be better off with the light rifle...or even a shotgun on a sling
I do exactly what you do. Have a S&W Shield 2.0 in .45 with the first 2 rounds being snake shot followed up by some defense rounds after that. I'm with ya, I'm also most likely to run into rattlers, mountain lions, coyotes, foxes or black bears. That set up works perfect for defense against them.

Ringtail

FNG
I love my PMR 30. But man that this is awful pickey what you feed it
Mine hasn’t been very picky. I’ve been using CCI and Hornady critical defense. I also don’t load the magazines all the way full. Usually take 20-25. What brand has jammed on you?

Rich M

WKR
Serious question - for those who carry something to shoot snakes, under what circumstances do you shoot them? If you get a snake in your tent? If it’s just on a trail, wouldn’t you be able to just back up or walk a way? I’m not trying to criticize, and I may be biased because I’m fascinated by snakes. (My wife is the opposite, and she wants me to kill any found.)
I typically leave the snakes alone. Will kill ornery snakes - some of the moccasins down here will come after you - those die, the ones that stay put or head the other way live to see tomorrow.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Your wife is wise.

Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out. Bull snakes can be aggressive, prairie rattlers less so but are dangerous, and I'm not interested enough to sort through the rest.

I love my PMR 30. But man that this is awful pickey what you feed it
This...its my backpack, tackle box, running the tractor gun at 2lbs fully loaded I don't even notice I am carrying it..I do wish the front fiber optic sight would stay on better...on my 3rd one...mine shoots Winchester and CCI just fine. My only issue is due to floating barrel design you can't put a can on it.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
This is very area dependent. I've migrated to a G48 and a G19 (clothing dependent, tbh would replace the 19 with another 48 given the chance.

If I was just carrying a GP rifle, I do like a 92 carbine in .357 mag. Load a .38 game load up front and 158gr magnums behind it. I stick with irons on my rossi, about 5.7lb with a Ranger Point rail on the front. Have considered sourcing polymer stocks.

Could also consider one of the "backpacker" style rimfires, Little Badger or something in .22 or .22 mag for game, carry pistol for your personal protection. Personally I don't expect I'll manage to down a bear with a .44 mag any better than with a 9mm.

Honorable mention as a packable do-all rifle, the Contender in a 16" carbine. With polymer stocks and either irons or a RMR you can get them about 4.5lb. If someone ever decides to make CF ultralight furniture I'll buy a set for my 30-30 carbine. Protip, you can also leave off the forend and wrap some painters tape over the trigger guard pin and hinge pin to keep them from walking on older frames and shave off some weight. I think my SBR with walnut stocks, a SiCo Hubrid, and a 12" barrel and Leupold Rifleman 2-7 is about 7lb, but I might be misrememebring.

You could pay me to do a lot of things, but relying on a Kel-Tec pistol to keep me alive is no one. Moreso for a Kel-tec rimfire. I'd go with a Wrangler or Single Six before I'd carry a Kel-Tec, because I can rely on those Rugers to fire all six shots.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I carry a Glock 10mm when I’m in griz country but otherwise only have a firearm if that’s what I’m hunting with.
I am seriously considering getting a decent lightweight pellet gun to carry while archery elk hunting. Kinda tired of losing or damaging expensive arrows on grouse LOL

Pdzoller

WKR
I carry a Glock 10mm when I’m in griz country but otherwise only have a firearm if that’s what I’m hunting with.
I am seriously considering getting a decent lightweight pellet gun to carry while archery elk hunting. Kinda tired of losing or damaging expensive arrows on grouse LOL

I’ve had good luck with a slingshot. Cheap, light and ammunition is everywhere.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve had good luck with a slingshot. Cheap, light and ammunition is everywhere.

That’s a good idea, I might go that route. I used to shoot squirrels and rabbits with a cross man wrist rocket when I was a kid