Backpacking/Fishing Trip Route Reccomendations

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I would like to get out west this year before the 4th of July as a little graduation present to myself a backpacking trip with fishing as major part of the trips focus. This trip is kind of being planned because I am unsure if I will make it out west this year to antelope hunt as I originally planned with the uncertainty of my job situation. I am not an expert fly fisherman by any means but I would like to catch a few fish, I also plan to bring a spinning real as a backup so I am no purest.
I would like to hike in the 20 mile range my length of trip still isn't undecided but 4+ days is what I had thought about. I have done 12 miles hikes here in the Midwest, but I am ramping up my cardio and bettering my fitness, but that's not just related to the trip. In a perfect world the trip would entail hiking, fishing, decent views, no reservation (ideally), and lower traffic area is what I am looking. I was looking at the Wind River range in WY but I am still kind of in the early planning stages so I'm really not stuck on anything.

Based off of that do you guys have any recommendations?

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
Look up the “beaten path” in Montana little longer then 20 miles but there’s a pile of lakes full of trout along the way

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Sawtooths, White Clouds , or the Copper basin in Idaho. All amazing views with some excellent fly fishing. Sawtooths will be the busiest of the bunch, but great nonetheless.

ewade07

WKR
Look up the “beaten path” in Montana little longer then 20 miles but there’s a pile of lakes full of trout along the way
My GF and I did the Beaten Path summer '19. Word of the wise, its about 34 miles total, not the 26 it is claimed to be. I doubt it will even be open that time in the summer, depending on snow. That being said, it is an amazing hike to do! Lots of lakes around if you are able to spend 3-4 whole days in the area. Be weary of the mosquitos tho!!!

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
My GF and I did the Beaten Path summer '19. Word of the wise, its about 34 miles total, not the 26 it is claimed to be. I doubt it will even be open that time in the summer, depending on snow. That being said, it is an amazing hike to do! Lots of lakes around if you are able to spend 3-4 whole days in the area. Be weary of the mosquitos tho!!!
Did you go from Cooke to East? I planned on doing it a few years ago with a buddy but things came up and we weren’t able to do it but someday I like to do it. Who knows navy this summer.

Phaseolus

WKR
Keep in mind that before July 4 you could likely encounter more snow than you would like at high altitude.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
4th of July is cutting it close in Montana for a backpack/fishing trip.

I would echo the Beaten Path in the Beartooths (snow permitting) as a good one- I did a lot of patrolling in that area and the fishing was good.

Some areas less traveled- the Crazy Mountains, you could put together a 20-ish mile route with some good fishing; ditto on the Pintlers and ditto on the Big Belts

undisclosed lake from one of the above locations :D

KvGuBOh.jpg

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
You want to fish lakes or rivers/streams?
I'm open to either but the more I think about it at least one stream on the trip would be cool considering it is very foreign to me.

Thanks for the advice on panning the trip later, I wasn't sure about snow melt times or how to even go about looking those up.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm open to either but the more I think about it at least one stream on the trip would be cool considering it is very foreign to me.

Thanks for the advice on panning the trip later, I wasn't sure about snow melt times or how to even go about looking those up.
PM inbound

locofife

FNG
The Bighorn Crags in Idaho near Salmon are absolutely beautiful! There are a bunch of lakes and lots of fish. There are a few mosquitoes, but they're bearable. I went in 2009 and it was an awesome trip.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
In my search I mentioned I was planning a trip out west to an elderly friend in southern IL and he mentioned he might have a cabin off the grid I could stay in near the Teton Range. So I am going to wait to hear back on that as that might be a good home base to take a few smaller trips from.

You could S to N through the Zirkel Wilderness in that time. Stacked with alpine lakes and not very crowded that time of year. Or you could hike it from CO to WY and fish the Encampment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaker_cc

WKR
I know you said you didn’t want to be around other people, but I’ve fished in the Holy Cross Wilderness in Colorado in late August. Some beautiful country and beautiful women when I was there. They don’t hate fishermen as much as they hate hunters I’ll tell you that. I wouldn’t have minded a little of that company.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Well I have permission to use a little cabin out by Tetonia Idaho so now my planning really begins. Id like to just use the cabin as a base camp to do smaller day trips from and 3-4 day trips from. It seems like a prime location, I'm very excited.