Backpacking Gear For Backpacking/Hunting/Camping

I am new to backpack hunting and have camped only a handful of times in my life. But that will be changing here soon...

I am also going to Montana to seasonally work on trail maintenance and some day require 8 day trips out in the wilderness.

Is there an recommendations from experienced backpack hunters that can lead me in the right direction on gear (camping, packs, etc) for this summer and future?

I only have a Stone Glacier frame and a dry bag ("Minimalist" by Stone Glacier) so far...

Rob5589

WKR
You're in the right place; comb through this section as well as the backpack section. Probably 99% of your questions are answered between those forums. Whatever you can't find, ask away.

RCB

WKR
Backpacking is enjoyed by lots of folks other than hunters, so be sure to google around and soak up all the information you can get.

Apart from that, my recommendation is to camp out as often as you can. Experience trumps gear.

Northpark

WKR
Welcome to the very deep dark rabbit hole of backcountry hunting. Lots of good info here. Everything from pads and bags to packs to headlamps, electronics, food, clothing, and shelters.

Basics for trail work (kind of assuming USFS trail crew) are good boots, a pack, a good bag (or quilt) and pad, a stove and eating utensil, headlamp, tent, maybe some rain gear, a leatherman, probably a puffy jacket if working in the Rockies because it’s cold at 10000’ in the morning even in July.

Other than those things you just kind of have to go do it and figure out what works for you. Only experience will really let you know what gear you need.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
My #1 tip would be to avoid the temptation to use your pricey stuff (ie Stone Glacier frame) on the trails work. Kelty's large internal frame backs have had pretty beefy frames, and the price point makes them easier to abuse when you're on the clock. Same goes for any items that wear out, like pants etc. The other thing I'd mention is a pad. For work, I'd pick comfort over lightweight all day, since it seems to be easier for me to hunt on 3hrs of sleep than it is to run a saw.

Welcome.

agree with some of the thoughts above. My gossamer gear pack is light but it wouldn’t haul meat and it sure wouldn’t hold up to trail tools. I would ask what most people ring and prefer and start there For boots and packs. Used gear or military surplus is a good cheap way to start.

It depends on the period of time, because if you go for 1 or 2 days for example, you can take some light gear with you, and not so much food.

That's a good one, I don't like when I feel too heave and barely can move because I have too much gear.

If you go for a longer period of time, you have to take some dry food as well, or take some bowls to prepare them on fire, depends on your preferences. Also, you should dress up accordingly. It would be easier if you just read this guide about camping attire, you have everything that you need to know, and it will help you a lot if you're not experienced with it.

I second the recommendation for backpackinglight.com. Its a great resource for any questions that will inevitably come up.

Is there an recommendations from experienced backpack hunters that can lead me in the right direction on gear (camping, packs, etc) for this summer and future?
Aside from the resources mentioned… know that pack, tent, sleep system, and boots are a highly highly individual thing. Just because someone says it works for them doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work for you too. You know yourself better than anyone else, just stay honest with yourself.

Being in the outdoors climbing up and down mountains all day, I need decent sleep more than anything else so that I can stay focused on the hunt.

Some guys can sleep on a 1/4” foam mat with no pillow and get the best sleep of their life - I definitely cant. Know yourself, be honest with yourself, and purchase accordingly.

I did trail work for the forest service down here in colorado for three seasons, send me a pm and I can give you my experience with gear, work and other thoughts.