Backpacking/Hunting Stove Recommendations

DIBBS

FNG
What are some of the better lightweight cooking systems as far as backpacking stoves/burners goes? I see MSR has a couple good systems and don’t know if I’m missing any. Also how much of a difference is the low end stuff if extreme weather and elevation are excluded? IE I didn’t even know Coleman made a backpacking burner until today. Thanks!

Camofire.com has a great deal going on today on the “volcano lite backpacking stove and cook set.” One of my hunting partners uses this setup and it’s pretty lite and effective. I have used many of the MSR products over the years and they are all reliable. Currently I use a jetboil when I don’t care about weight too much. But I ALWAYS carry a 5.8oz Emberlit titanium twig stove, some small fire starters, and a Stanley metal cup (with an attached handle) wherever I go. That way I can make tea, grill a bird breast, or make a Mountian house without having to carry the extra weight of fuel when I want to go lite. Just make sure to have a 1 gallon ziplock bag on hand to keep the cup in after you have used it because it’ll get a little black on the outside. I especially like this little stove in archery season because it won’t create a forest fire (if properly extinguished obviously), I never run out of fuel, and the smell of smoke is maybe the best cover scent that exists.

Mosby

WKR
I have several different stoves and will recommend what I use(or I wouldn't use them). Which one I take depends on the weather, how far I am going and my mood. I have an MSR Reactor that is bullet proof, boils fast and great in cold, windy weather but not the lightest. I also have a old Brunton crux(similar to Optimus Crux) that I really like. It has 4 prongs, folds in half and nests great in an MSR Titan kettle. Not the best stove in windy conditions but part of a nice, light kit. I also have a Soto Windmaster. It is a really nice stove. It goes in my 1.3 l MSR pot that I take if cooking for two. I also have an Optimus Nova liquid fuel and a Kovea Spider inverted stove that I can take if the weather is freezing cold and standard canister stoves might have a problem with the temps. I like eating and having options to fit the weather, so stoves are a priority item for me. I am not a fan of liquid fuel stoves, so while I own one it is the last stove I reach for. It has to be really cold to take that stove.

The main brands all make nice stoves. If I could only have one, it would probably be the Reactor because it is bullet proof. None are perfect, which is why I have several but I could get by with any one of them. As a side note, stove weight is not my biggest priority. Their are lighter stoves than what I own and use. Figure out what features are important to you. I probably over engineer my stoves though. You could buy a Jetboil or equivalent and be fine 95% of the time.

Lawnboi

WKR
Are you looking to only boil water? Or actually cook?

Where and when do you plan on using it?

Unfortunatly I don’t know of a do all system and as you can see above most have a few setups based on conditions

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
Appreciate the info everyone. I think to add more info is that I’m looking into those that have the actual ability to cook food not just boil water. I like the ease of the pocket rocket or the BRS mentioned above. As a former wildland firefighter I don’t know if I could convince myself to use a solid fuel system unless there was snow on the ground.

This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask for someone with zero experience. Are MSR/Jetboil fuel canisters all interchangeable as far as thread/size is concerned? Or are they brand specific?

Lawnboi

WKR
Appreciate the info everyone. I think to add more info is that I’m looking into those that have the actual ability to cook food not just boil water. I like the ease of the pocket rocket or the BRS mentioned above. As a former wildland firefighter I don’t know if I could convince myself to use a solid fuel system unless there was snow on the ground.

This may be a dumb question, but I gotta ask for someone with zero experience. Are MSR/Jetboil fuel canisters all interchangeable as far as thread/size is concerned? Or are they brand specific?

Canisters are interchangeable. Different brands may have different mixtures but they all work. For a stove that runs on canister check out the MSR windburner, they have a system with different pots, but your stuck with the msr pots: just an option, I can’t speak to how it is but I did get one with a normal and fry pan for Christmas.

For cold weather cooking, or if weight doesn’t matter that much iv had a MSR dragonfly for a number of years. Great for when you need to cook and will accept any pot. White gas is no fun to light up though, and part of the reason I went with the windburner for better weather.

Those are a couple options for a stove that will actually cook food. Iv made a lot on my dragonfly and admintently it’s more of a car/canoe camps stove for me.

Tradchef

WKR
Soto windmaster for me as well. I use a toaks 750ml if I’m just boiling water and if I cook I picked up the GSI pinnacle soloist. It boils, simmers and does a pretty good job overall.

OP
DIBBS

DIBBS

FNG
Lawnboi I have a feeling that whatever I end up with will also double as a car/camp stove anyway no matter how heavy or light. Just based on how I imagine I will end up using it.

bjsully

FNG
I have been using the GSI pinnacle dualist which has worked well for two people and the stove and cooking/eating pots are great.

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my Snow Peak Gigapower over 30 years, and they’re basically unchanged. Enjoy the lack of bulk and weight

Yep. I have a Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium Stove that I haven't had any issues with in about 8 years. Works great, compact and light

Mike 338

WKR
I have an older Kifaru stainless steel flat top (medium). Turns out the flat top is pretty great for simmering dinner on top. I also take a Jet Boil for boiling water but it's hard to simmer on that thing.

cdowell

FNG
I use a Optimus Crux Lite and a GSI pot. I love the system. Its lite, compact and decent on fuel. It allows you to boil water as well as cook.