Backpacking in the off season

I love backpacking. I usually get a few short trips a year and one or two longer ones.

These days though, I have added enough light kit to my backpacking setup that the overlap gets to be less and less as years go by. A hunting load would shred my marsupial gear pack and my backpacking footwear is pretty flimsy compared to my hunting boots.

any day outside is a good day.

OP
Wyobohunter
Id say I do more backpacking than I do hunting. Generally, I’ll take my pack for a walk 3-4 days a week when I am home. Sometimes it is just a quick walk around the neighborhood, other times its a full blown trip into the backcountry. This winter/spring, I want to do some longer snowshoe trips, maybe learn to cross country ski.
I’d go with the skis. Snowshoes are no fun.

Bowwow

FNG
I do several trips to the Bighorns during the summer. 3 years ago a few of us did a 80ish mile hike in the WWR.
Planning on hiking #038 in the Bighorns this summer.

Wife and I are planning on the O trek in Torres del Paine, Chile - pretty excited about that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I like backpacking in the summer but don’t backpack hunt. It’s never really appealed to me.

We are currently section backpacking the Colorado Trail. My wife, daughter & myself. We get out for a few trips every summer. We’re a couple hundred miles into it. Hoping to complete it by the time my 15 yo turns 18. It’s been great so far & creating a lot of good memories!

OP
Wyobohunter
FYI, the Fly shop in Pinedale will shuttle your car for you: https://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/services/shuttles/

I did a lot of backpacking in the Winds as part of climbing there years ago. I love that area. I hate to see how crowded certain areas of it have gotten.
Yup. They sure will. Though I live close enough I’d give a friend or family member a little gas money to drop me off before I’d pay what they want. In the end I may do that instead of hitchhiking.