Backpacking Meals Taste Test with the Jordan's

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son and I took peak refuel sheep hunting this year up here in northern BC CA they were delicious more exspensive than mountain house but way better taste and flet good after eating.

Attachments

• 20190730_182051.jpg
    20190730_182051.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190731_185129.jpg
    20190731_185129.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 77

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is a good podcast but people need this thread or the show notes to make the best sense of it as they covered a lot. Pad and pen on hand wouldn’t hurt either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
My son and I took peak refuel sheep hunting this year up here in northern BC CA they were delicious more exspensive than mountain house but way better taste and flet good after eating.

Sign up for their emails. Won’t flood your inbox but they do have great sales. Picked up a couple dozen meals last month for 35% off and free shipping. Made it ever so slightly cheaper than MH.

Rob5589

WKR
Just listened on my way home from work, good stuff. I have only eaten MH and Peak. I could barely choke down the MH; the Peak I found very good for what they are. The only Peak I didn't care for was sweet pork and rice, just waaaay too heavy on the sweet. All the Peaks needed more cook time I found, by about 10 mins at 6500 feet. Most needed a tad more water except the chicken pesto pasta which could probably use a tad less to make a thicker sauce.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wanted to update you all one on of the meal company's. Wise Company reached out and announced they have reformulated, repackaged and essentially have revamped the meals and company. They are now known as ReadyWise Adventure Meals, their website is here -> https://readywise.com/. They have sent out a few of their new adventure meals so we will update as soon as we've received them.

cjparry2

FNG
Hi Jordan, enjoy the podcast!! A few weeks back you reviewed several of the latest podcasts. You mentioned that some of the dehydrated food go on sale around this time of the year. Still waiting for Peak Fuel to go on sale. Any site you suggest I should check out? Thanks!

I actually like the taste of several Mountain House meals and breakfast offerings. So I am excited to see if the others are that much better. Cost of meals on the few days I get out each year is irrelevant. But taste is important, as is feeling good after eating.

Being able to drop by any Walmart to buy MH is a huge plus for me. Just went camping on Monday. Went to find my Mountain House food and it was gone! Turns out my wife had eaten it! So I dropped by Walmart on the way to the campsite and picked up enough for the trip.

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually like the taste of several Mountain House meals and breakfast offerings. So I am excited to see if the others are that much better. Cost of meals on the few days I get out each year is irrelevant. But taste is important, as is feeling good after eating.

Being able to drop by any Walmart to buy MH is a huge plus for me. Just went camping on Monday. Went to find my Mountain House food and it was gone! Turns out my wife had eaten it! So I dropped by Walmart on the way to the campsite and picked up enough for the trip.

Exactly. That's a point I've always made is you can get MH at walmart and it's convenient. Only thing you have to watch out for is making sure they're 2 serving packages. A lot of walmarts only carry 1 serving packs, or a combination of the two. I don't mind MH either as far as taste goes, but having them all side by side there was definitely a difference between the standard MH and the top 3 meals we liked.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too am a MH fan. I know they get a bad rap but in the field it is usually the brand I look forward to eating.

I like MH as well and never understood why people disliked them. I still eat them. But after getting them all side by side there's an obvious difference taste wise from the standard MH to the top 3 above it that we listed. The mountain house meal was directly in the middle for both of us, proving to me that it is the standard.

Exactly. That's a point I've always made is you can get MH at walmart and it's convenient. Only thing you have to watch out for is making sure they're 2 serving packages. A lot of walmarts only carry 1 serving packs, or a combination of the two. I don't mind MH either as far as taste goes, but having them all side by side there was definitely a difference between the standard MH and the top 3 meals we liked.

Jordan, I really appreciate your hard work on this! I tried to buy some Off Grid, but they were completely sold out, probably thanks to your excellent reviews. (y):)

MThuntr

WKR
I honestly cannot stomach Heather's Choice meals. I would eat an MRE before that stuff.

I agree that PeakRefuel and Off Grid are some of the best. I don't mind Sasquatch Fuel since their bags are burnable but they lack the calories needed for those big days. I also like some of the Wild Zora (previously known as Paleo Meals to Go).

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly cannot stomach Heather's Choice meals. I would eat an MRE before that stuff.

I agree that PeakRefuel and Off Grid are some of the best. I don't mind Sasquatch Fuel since their bags are burnable but they lack the calories needed for those big days. I also like some of the Wild Zora (previously known as Paleo Meals to Go).

I hadn't had great luck with them either until I had the Spaghetti.

Jordan, I really appreciate your hard work on this! I tried to buy some Off Grid, but they were completely sold out, probably thanks to your excellent reviews. (y):)

It might be, but it’s also extremely common for them to be out of stock at any given time. I had terrible luck with ordering. When I was finally able to get my hands on 3 meals one had QC issues and another one just wasn’t good. The final straw for me was the terrible customer service. At $15 a meal I will gladly shop one of the many other options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk