Backpacking pack options for kids

Western Edge makes kids packs. I’ve seen different configurations of packs and pockets, and even rifle carriers. It’s basically a kids version (insert favorite brand here) of what we use.

bailey214

FNG
I’m also interested in learning more about outfitting my son that is 11.

Taking him on a backwoods hunt and trying not to spend a fortune on gear he won’t be able to use the next season.

Have you found a pack you like?

GregB

WKR
I got my son a Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 a couple years ago and it has worked well. The torso is adjustable so you can expand it as he grows. The picture is from a backpacking trip last summer.
IMGP0014.JPG

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to consider more traditional backpacking packs (ie, Gregory, Osprey, Dueter, etc.). These packs are relatively cheap, light weight, durable, and have a number of options. Some of them have adjustable frames that can grow with the kid.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do any of the backpacking brands have a stiff vertical frames and decent belts so they can haul a load? The Osprey and North Face ones I looked into had springy frames, meager belts, and no load lifters so they were effectively shoulder hangers with any amount of weight. Since 25 pounds on an 80 pound kid is like 50 pounds on a 160 pound adult (and 50 pounds hanging on my shoulders sucks) I wanted a kid-sized pack that would carry loads like my adult frame.

I believe kelty makes a external frame pack for kids, a few years ago I got my kids deuiter fox 40 packs and they seem like real nice pieces of equipment

Attachments

• IMG_20160724_125028291.jpg
    IMG_20160724_125028291.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 38
I've found that the traditional backpacking packs for kids will haul as much or more of a load than the kid can. That being said, the Western Edge packs look nice, definitely worth checking out. I'd like to hear from someone who has one.

Check out mountain warehouse or Sierra trading Post,I was just in their retail stores today and saw some smoking deals on kid size packs.

Does anybody know a smaller size backback that is hunting orientated?
Even if it is not specifically for kids (10-13 yo)?

Thanks,

This one does the job on my 12 year old boy in the small configuration. Arguably the best pack system today, and can add larger packs/hip belts as they grow.

I’m also interested in learning more about outfitting my son that is 11.

Taking him on a backwoods hunt and trying not to spend a fortune on gear he won’t be able to use the next season.

Have you found a pack you like?
I'd spend bigger money on a pack system that can evolve with your youth and boots that will serve him/her the best in their size. Boots are a yearly expense I have just come to realize I will spend money on if I want my son going with me. I watch year round and find deals on quality youth hunting gear like Sitka from Camofire, ArcheryTalk, etc. Everything else money can be skimped on a bit...

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered 2 packs from Western Edge Gear for my 2 boys (10 and 11 year olds). Hoping they will do the trick for awhile until they get into adult size packs. I emailed Steve at Western Edge with lots of questions, and he always got back quick with good suggestions. Went with the 20" frames but he mentioned he might also offer 22" if enough interest. I'm impressed so far with the service.