Backpacking packs VS Hunting specific pack

Sock

FNG
I have been backpacking for about 8 years and have always had one pack. It's carried me through a few countries and hundreds of miles of trails.

I started getting into back country hunting to combine my hobbies and have a hard time with thinking of getting a pack specific for back country hunting.

I have packed a blacktail out of northern California and I am planning a back country hunt in Idaho this fall. Trying to decide if i should use what I have or find something new.

Besides the ability to stow meat between your the frame and pack, what are some other benefits of these packs?

It seems like most companies sell additional pouches and accessories to make an extra Buck instead of including them like most backpacking bags...

What are some other aspects of hunting backpacks that I might be over looking?

I'm kinda in the same boat. Just sold my Osprey pack after ordering a K3. The reason that I switched was primarily the meat hauling capacity.

I definitely agree that it is frustrating to pay so much extra for a little pouch or a bottle holster when the packs are already SO expensive relative to high end backpacking packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMont

FNG
I've still got my osprey argos 85L. I have packed a handful of elk and deer with it and still use it as my go to. It has more padding, is designed better, and in my opinion- is more durable than many of the hunting packs out there. Not to mention $2-300 cheaper. If your pinching dollars, your extra money is better spent on boots or a tags.

Scrappy

WKR
Really bottom line is if your going to be hunting big critters like elk. All you need is a pack that can carry the amount of weight your comfortable with carrying. ABSOLUTELY doesn't matter who makes the pack or what kind of pack. Can it handle the weight is the only question.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I use an REI branded pack and have a Kelty Freighter frame waiting at the truck. I havent hauled meat yet, but the plan is to take the first smaller load out in the REI pack, and come back with the frame. The pack I bought I think is 4 or 5 pounds, and it is an absolute delight to carry 40-45 lbs. Plus, I use it during the summer when hiking and/or scouting.

I would tell anyone getting into hunting and looking to save some cash to consider a granola pack to get by for a few years. Buy one used even. Some of the frames are IMO stiff enough to carry as much as I'm willing. To me the major differences are:

-frame stiffness
-exterior materials, usually are noisier and can have a sheen to them
-no option for modularity / lacking meat shelf

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of backpacking packs are setup to carry bulky rereactional weight loads vs a concentrated 80lb of meat or such, frames flex, etc. But if your specific pack is comfortable at heavy loads then by all means run it.

Main benefits of the hunting backpacks are stand alone frames capable of heavy loads, ability to change the bags out so you have a singular suspension tuned to you but can run different packs, ability to place a dense meat load close to the back, attachment points to add accessories tailored to the user (IE I run 3 custom sized belt pockets personally but that wouldn't be others preference).

Came from the backpacking side of things myself. I have had REI, Dana Design, Lowa Alpine, Mountain Smith, Deuter, Northface, all sorts of packs over the years.

Here’s the deal......The backpacking bags themselves are better designed and shoulder padding and lumbar support is very similar to kifaru on a few so it’s not that.. it’s the frame... that’s where the kifaru shines. You’re buying a frame for durability and a custom fit designed for carrying heavy loads. That’s it. Yes there’s pockets for spotting scopes, bow and gun attachment options, and a meat shelf(which I never use, meat goes in the bag) all really not necessary IMO. With my backpacking packs, I have had multiple rip where the shoulder straps connects to the bag with heavy loads in the field, not going to happen with kifaru. Plus the warranty your not going to find anywhere else and customer service is great.

I still use my backpacking bags for just backpacking trips and some training but the kifaru will always be on my back during hunting season.

I looked at both hunting specific and backpacking packs last year and after much research I went with a Mystery Ranch Glacier for myself and my son. I spoke to a rep at the company and determined it offered the most bang for the buck for my needs. It is rated to 90lbs and I have trained regularly carrying 75lbs. It handled it so well I am confident that you could exceed 100lbs easily. It is roughly the same size as MR’s most popular Metcalf but doesn’t have the meat shelf and IMO has a better layout with some pockets on the exterior. I added a Kifaru Grab It so if I get an elk I will pack the meat in the pack and take what I have in the main compartment and compress it between the Grab It and the exterior of the pack. Right now you can earn 30% towards a future purchase at Moosejaw.com. That is how I purchased my sleeping bag and pad last year with points accumulated during a sale like this. This pack is over 200 less than the Metcalf. Also I know Sierra Trading had a bunch of glaciers, terraplanes and T100 packs for significantly less than I paid. Also if you haven’t already sign up for activejunky.com. You can get back 10-15% quarterly on what you spent and use it toward more gear! Good luck!

Poser

WKR
If you are packing heavy loads for a long ways, then a hunting specific pack can be far superior, but definitely not necessary.
Many backpack specific packs are designed for loads of no more than 80#. Get too heavy and the frames flex too much -probably won’t break but probably won’t be comfortable either. With a hunting pack, you can put a heavy load of mass as close to your center gravity as possible in addition to a stiffer and stronger frame. If you’re talking about SG, Exo, Kifaru etc, you’re more limited by how much weight your body can tolerate rather than the pack. Any of those brands can reliably handle 200# of weight or more.

Ratbeetle

WKR
For me, it's all about the meat shelf. If I'm being honest, my Deuter aircontact pack is more comfortable with mild to moderate weights than my MR metcalf. However, it also weighs 2lbs more and I have no desire to carry meat in the main bag. Not to mention, with the metcalf I have the option of taking the bag off the frame and just running a load sling.

Jdancedc

FNG
I’ll second the comment of noise and shine. Done several scouting trips with osprey or similar backpacking bags just due to comfort and better pack layouts but once you get close to animals, all the squeaks and fabric crunching become much more noticeable! And of course they are more reflect.

EastMont

FNG
Excuse the selfies but here is the pack. No shine, and no more noise than any other backpack made of nylon. I day hunt with it as well. I've shot 3 elk with my bow with the backpack on my back. Water bottle holder works great for a rifle butt stock/bugle tube or you can attach your bow to the back flat.

I've loaded up to 125lbs in it- was it made for that? Absolutely not, Held up fine, but 125lbs is 125. Suffer fest reglardless. Manufacture rated it for 50-70lbs. Price tag in 2012: $250. If you can find a used kifaru/kuiu/MR it might be worth a good investment.

Came from the backpacking side of things myself. I have had REI, Dana Design, Lowa Alpine, Mountain Smith, Deuter, Northface, all sorts of packs over the years.

Here’s the deal......The backpacking bags themselves are better designed and shoulder padding and lumbar support is very similar to kifaru on a few so it’s not that.. it’s the frame... that’s where the kifaru shines. You’re buying a frame for durability and a custom fit designed for carrying heavy loads. That’s it. Yes there’s pockets for spotting scopes, bow and gun attachment options, and a meat shelf(which I never use, meat goes in the bag) all really not necessary IMO. With my backpacking packs, I have had multiple rip where the shoulder straps connects to the bag with heavy loads in the field, not going to happen with kifaru. Plus the warranty your not going to find anywhere else and customer service is great.

I still use my backpacking bags for just backpacking trips and some training but the kifaru will always be on my back during hunting season.

once you've had the opportunity to compare these different packs to pack out an elk you will quickly understand why the hunting packs are more $$$ 9 out of 10 times it will be OBVIOUS

OP
S

Sock

FNG
Thanks for all the replies.

Now if I can find a few hundred dollars somewhere I might be able to give a new pack a go.

Leaning towards Kifaru, because who doesn't have champagne taste on a cheap beer budget!

I am going to try and start by finding a used pack with a meat shelf and see if I can break it in this fall.

If anyone has a small or medium pack that they are looking to get ride of feel free to PM me!

The Mystery Ranch’s Terraframe line kind of blurs the line between backpacking and hunting packs. They have the load shelf and high weight rating but cost a lot less: Terraframe 80 is regularly less than $350.

Bacwest

FNG
I've used rei packs, osprey, Cabela's, erbelestock, and finally upgraded to Kifaru mt warrior and love it. All the others were decent for short trips with minimal weight but for meat hauling, versatility, and all around pleasure to use I recommend checking out the high end packs, you won't regret it. Exo, stone glacier, or kifaru.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's not just with the packs either, mate. Clothing and all other associated gear is fairly similar, in my experience. Some of the really high-end hunting specific stuff is definitely worth the money but if you can't afford it all, just buy what you can afford and get out there.

I use an Exo 5500 but I mainly bought it for the meat-hauling capabilities, as I haul out a huge number of animals every year. A hiking pack couldn't do that for me. Still, I used a hiking pack for a while and it was fantastic.

Rokwiia

WKR
I am a backpacker and hiker, who has never hunted, but found this website when I was looking for a new backpack. Over the years, I've had many packs including a McHale pack which is a benchmark hauler in the backpacking world.

I settled on a Seek Outside backpack on their Revolution platform. It allows me the opportunity to use different bags or to unstrap my bag and use an old bag to haul firewood back to camp. I would never go back to an integrated platform as the breakaway capability provides options not otherwise available at a 5oz penalty.

The Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300 along with a top lid, Talon, and pouches gives me about 134-liter capacity yet the 103 liter main bag rolls down into nothing all -- at only a tad over 4lbs. In my opinion, it is far more comfortable than any pack I've ever owned including my McHale, and that's saying something.

Good luck with you decision but as a backpacker, I would never go back to a backpacker-style pack again. The hunting backpacks offer far to many options than backpacking ones, and are far more comfortable, at least from this person's view.

Last edited: