Backpacking spotting scope

Barnesy44

FNG
Wanting to buy a new spotter this year, and have narrowed it down to 2 that I like. Swarovski atx 65 and the low 883. What are your thoughts on each on. Pro/cons?

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious why you are comparing the Swaro 65mm to the 883 and not the 553 or 773 that are closer in objective size? I just went through this myself and ended up going with the ATX + 65mm. Biggest advantage to me was the modularity. I will eventually add the bigger objectives and the BTX.

OP
B

Barnesy44

FNG
I am curious why you are comparing the Swaro 65mm to the 883 and not the 553 or 773 that are closer in objective size? I just went through this myself and ended up going with the ATX + 65mm. Biggest advantage to me was the modularity. I will eventually add the bigger objectives and the BTX.
Reason being is, I feel the 553 will leave me wanting a bit more zoom and field of view, and the 773 doesn’t have pure fluorite lens. The 65 and 883 weight is around the same. I don’t see myself going any heavier for packing in. I don’t really have it in the budget to buy 2 separate high end spotters at the moment and am hoping I can go somewhere in the middle and be satisfied for most uses.

^^^He's right!^^^ Swaro all the way and yes, you will upgrade. A 65 is fine much of the time but in big open country you'll want the 95. Spotted elk over 6 miles away with the 95/BTX. I bought one after using one. So much easier using both eyes with a headrest for hardcore glassing.

Yes, there is a weight penalty to pay when lugging the bigger glass but the benefits outweigh that penalty IMHO. I carry nine in a 28" AR case with a quick-release plate on a Monfrotto 410JR gear head.

MONFROTTO.JPGscopecase.JPGscopecaseopen.JPG

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing the differences and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

WKR
Wanting to buy a new spotter this year, and have narrowed it down to 2 that I like. Swarovski atx 65 and the low 883. What are your thoughts on each on. Pro/cons?
I'm a big fan of Kowa. It would be my first choice if I were in the market for a spotting scope. I had one previously and regret selling it even though, theoretically, I improved my optics.

tdhanses

WKR
Reason being is, I feel the 553 will leave me wanting a bit more zoom and field of view, and the 773 doesn’t have pure fluorite lens. The 65 and 883 weight is around the same. I don’t see myself going any heavier for packing in. I don’t really have it in the budget to buy 2 separate high end spotters at the moment and am hoping I can go somewhere in the middle and be satisfied for most uses.
The 773 isn’t a slouch and does accept the extender taking zoom out to 96x.

If you are not going to take advantage of the Swarovski modularity, then go with the Kowa. Otherwise get the Swarovski.

I bought the Kowa 553,
It's Fov is like looking through a straw.
Sold it. Bought the atx 65 it's worth backing the extra waight.
apparently you use spotter for searching for game

for judging, the kowa gets it done, my 664 out resolves the swaro 20-60 and the swaro wide angle 25-50 wasn't in the same park as the 20-60's, the lack of rolling ball effect that's loved for panning is more prevalent in the Swaro's and a warmer yellow hue, the kowa has a true image and color, ie; telephone poles 1800 yards along a road way will appear straight in the kowa, but they curve outward in the swaro...a lot

if you spend a lot of time in a spotter trying to find game and that rolling ball effect reduction is beneficial then swaro may be your huckleberry, if you can grid still frame, although I pan fine with my kowa also but tend to still frame things especially if something tweaks in the subconscious, but if you need the highest resolution most accurate image reproduction judging tool then kowa is your huckleberry and your wallet will agree ;)

You must have had a bad instrument, my ATX 65 and 95 are incredible as was my ATS 65

Color is also a personal preference. Leica has the best true color reproduction and sharpness I've ever seen. I prefer the Swaro to the ever so slightly warmer view though/

What's your end goal with a spotting scope? Do you just want to verify that you found a buck? Are you looking for a kicker? Maybe you just need it for spotting a herd of elk 3 miles out and want to check if there are bulls. Perhaps you want to use this for hours on end each day? Is weight a concern? What's your budget?

If you were to tell me you were an Archery elk hunter on an OTC tag I'd tell you to not even get one and save your money for tags.

We need more information to give you a better-informed decision.

OP
B

Barnesy44

FNG
Thanks for all the replies, ended up going with the kowa 883. Should be here in the next couple days. Excited to get it out in the field and compare to ats 65