Backpacking stove in wall tent .

isu22andy

WKR
I have a 10x12 wall tent . Also have a luxe tipi . How much heat does one of the medium backpacking stoves put off ? I would use it in my tipi on the run but wondering if it would be worth lighting in the mini wall tent as well ? I realize it won’t cook me out or be 70 degrees inside but would it be worth it ? Advice experience ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on the temps and how much warmth you are trying to get and for how long. If its not too cold, my 2 mantle white gas lanterns takes the edge of inside my 10x12 wall tent. I also know a guy who uses a small Mr.buddy heater instead of a wood stove. Can't see why a medium size backpacking stove wont add some quick warmth in the morning or before bed.

Last edited:
OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
Anyone else ? Trying to avoid buying 2 different stoves. I’ve used a buddy heater and it takes the edge off but trying to figure out what a stove puts off vs the buddy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree with Ron C, above. It's hard to say since conditions can be so variable--temps & wind, wood quality, and factors like ground tarp.

If you have good wood and stoke it continuously, I would guess you'd do okay and probably better than a mr buddy. Personally, I prefer a bigger stove, even in a tipi, because it gives you a margin for iffy wood and cold snaps, not to mention longer burns. Also means longer pieces so less sawing.

ScottP

WKR
My xl lite outdoors titanium stove will heat a 12x12 nicely in 20 deg weather with dry wood. I don’t mess with keeping it burning overnight. I bought it for my tipi but it’s easier on my back than lugging the three dog steel out by myself