Backpacking stove wood prep

kumplocke

FNG
Looking at getting a SO tipi and stove this year. Looking for input on what tools you carry for wood prep.

reaper

WKR
Looking at getting a SO tipi and stove this year. Looking for input on what tools you carry for wood prep.
Folding saw and a solid blade knife to split woods,fire starter like cotton with vaseline,bic lighter and fire steel. This year i added a telescopic blow fire tube,really nice to stay in the sleeping bag and just blow in it in the stove.Thats all you need,no axe or heavy stuff.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Fire starter kit
48e9f524cf2bc8cf54fdf9e2e8e847b3.jpg
eaf0ac6cea130db00b8f3536bc2fd3d9.jpg
80eeaacf028ea6470c2ff62bf43dbea4.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
K

kumplocke

FNG
Right, I have been carrying a piece of copper tubing around for almost 20yrs as a "fire blower" it has become a part of camp. It just wouldn't be the same without it. This little telescopic one is a must have.

This stihl pull saw is a bit heavier and longer than most guys would probably bring but it's made plenty of otherwise miserable nights on the mountain pretty cozy with minimal effort on my end, it always has a place in my pack. Depending on what stove you go with it can be pretty beneficial to be able to cut some bigger logs and baton them instead of just snapping twigs.

Reapers is the luxury edition, that's the ultralight redneck version on top though, never hit the mountains without a McDonald's straw in my pack anymore ;)

I keep a Silky pocketboy saw, and trioxane tablets in the stove bag. Along with that I usually have leather work gloves. The stove pipe is pretty sharp.

tdot

WKR
Are you guys using the tubes to blow thru to help stoke the fire???

If so... brilliant!

If not, what is it used for??

The blow tube is now a necessity for me. Gets the fire roaring hot and helps with wet wood. Probably will even bring it backpacking next year.

Mosby

WKR
I bought a Mora farrier's knife to take for batoning when I expect a lot of wet wood. Solid steel and razor sharp. Nothing to break and cost me $15 on Amazon. Weighs 7.4 oz with a small leather tool sheath.

1578289221946.png

sweetroll

FNG
Found that these work great and burn cleaner than triox or Vaseline cotton balls. And you don’t have to dig out your lighter every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kumplocke

FNG
Really liking that Esee knife. Pretty sweet it has emergency fire tools inside.