Backpacking stove wood prep

I carry a couple old newspapers, leather gloves, and a 12 oz (maybe made by browning?) hatchet in my stove kit.

Will be trying the blow tube though!

I use a Agawa canyon saw. I also started to used the collapsible little tubes for stoking the fire this year. Brilliant little piece of kit that I will not be without. As someone else said, gets wet wood going much better that without.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a small stove (Cub) so wood prep is pretty easy- I carry a Silky F180 saw and a 5.5" rather "husky" fixed blade knife (Fallkniven S1) to process

I've found that old fashion waxed paper does a pretty good job of getting kindling going and it's light (and cheap too). I also have a Livefire tin that I keep in an emergency fire kit, if push comes to shove, I'll break it out to start a fire (it's reusable and normally doesn't take long to fire off the kindling)

I'll say again on the Silky F180, great tool. Other than that I just use my bic lighter from my MSR reactor and some light me tinder.

We have a lot of beetle kill here so we can usually find a dead tree, knock it down, then just saw from the top. I have the 18" LO cylinder, you can measure each around by the length of the saw. Cut an inch shorter and you have a perfect fitting log.

Or if you prefer to go really light just break it but I prefer the extra 5oz if I'm already hauling a stove in.

Tekla

FNG
I agree the thermarest pump is the best, use it to blow up the pad and can just put it down to the fire and away she goes. I’ve been using this for a couple years and it’s the best. Constant blowing rather than using your breath 0CE46F4D-2577-4C78-97A3-7B6420B866DB.png

mcseal2

WKR
I don't carry it backpacking, but I have a little USB re-chargeable desk fan that is awesome for getting a fire rolling. I pack it in the summer when I camp on the river. I set it to blow across my face under my tarp when it's really hot and still, or the bugs are bad. A little air movement keeping me from sweating helps me sleep. When I'm trying to get some semi-wet wood to burning I set it to blow on the fire. It probably weighs 6oz or less and the battery lasts several hours.

rbljack

WKR
A skinny carbon arrow shaft makes an outstanding blow-tube as well.
Thanks for this! After strugging with 2 fires during wet snow conditions, I think this may be the best lightweight option. Thinking maybe I can cut it to the length needed for the rear pole of my sawtooth and supertarp as well. Get dual use out of it maybe. Not sure if the pole length would be the same for both shelters, BUT...just maybe it will work!

ndbuck09

WKR
Curious if you guys using the lightweight Silky saws have any experience with the small wicked tree gear saw? I have the wicked and it's a huge chore to cut any good amount of firewood. More than sometimes I wonder if dealing with the stove is even worth the time. A lot of times I could just eat quick and get in my sleeping bag an hour or more sooner if I wasn't trying to find wood, cut the wood into the small logs for a medium seek box stove, then starting the fire and getting it all toasty for 20 mins. Sometimes just seems like more work than it's worth. Huge portion of that difficulty has been my saw so curious about comparisons??

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no experience with that particular saw, but I have run several other saws and none have performed as well as a Silky in like vs like saws (blade length)

they simply cut circles around other saws

the Pocketboy saws have the advantage of adding a bone blade for an extra ounce too

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Gomboy 240 medium teeth saw by Silky Saws. I also take my gerber 9in hatchet, but I haven't used it yet. I'm thinking about leaving that home to save weight and just going with the saw. I can't say enough great things about the saw. Definitely made camping a great experience last weekend. I was able to fall a standing dead tree and use it for our outdoor fire. Glock G17 mag for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPEG
    IMG_1008.JPEG
    328.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1023.JPEG
    IMG_1023.JPEG
    355.8 KB · Views: 92

xziang

WKR
I am in the same boat. Been looking to find a used wood stove for my floorless. I plan to use a folding/flip knife I use for whitetail hunting that has a saw on one side and knife on other side. Planned to use this to cut wood to length and knife portion fkr splitting if needed. I also carry or use cotton balls rolled in vasaline for my fire starters. If you use or make these out them in an air tight cintainer. I like the idea posted above of carbin arrow kr copper rod for assistance.

+1 on the pocket bellows.
I'm a fan of the collapsible tube style but my cousin uses a carbon arrow shaft, cut to length with a length of fuel line on the end.

This allows much more flexibility in placement of the business end. It also allows the user to be sitting upright instead of bent down low. Pretty slick.

BBob

WKR
For those of you that are using the Silky saws, what tooth profile are you using? Large teeth or fine teeth?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m using large for firewood, fine for bone- I think medium would be good for wood as well