Backpacking tent suggestions

Hoyt003

FNG
I have read through a pile of post, can’t find what I’m looking for. I am looking for a back packing tent. Does not need to be ultralight by any means. Looking for one that will not break the bank.

Ranging from September elk hunts to early November Mule deer hunts.

2 person tent. Most the time it will be me by myself.
Do NOT want a floorless model and do not need a stove. Also do not want to use trekking poles

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
2 person will be good for you alone and a 3 person will be good for 2 people. If lightweight is not necessary and you want something less expensive but that will last then I would say to look at the size you want in a good rei used tent. The discontinued rei clipper 2 is an awesome tent, I have one and it is great for when weight is not crucial and it is just me. If weight is no issue whatsoever the USMC 2 man, Eureka or Diamond brand used is a great tent that you can get any part/piece for easily. The camo/solid fly has a heavier coating and the green/brown fly is lighter. I have found that the camo/solid fly is more waterproof.....but either one sheds water well if seam sealed correctly.

If you want to spend a little more than rei or nemo would have new models which would fit your needs/budget. The nemo galaxie 2 is very good, I have one of those.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
North face storm break 2 $159, rei halfdome 2+ $200? In the 5-6lb range. I have a halfdome I use when I don’t need 3lbs or bombproof.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Don't re-invent the wheel.

Top 2 person backpacking tents include the MSR Hubba Hubba, and other lightweight 2 persons by marmot, mountain hardware, etc. etc. Hilleberg is also a great brand, but very pricey.

The lightweight backpacking industry has been around much longer than the hunting one, and to me, other than stoves in cold weather, there are not special requirements for a 'hunting' lw 2 person over a backpacking two person. Yes, big vestibules is nice, etc. , but that's splitting hairs and there's plenty out there to suit your preferences,

Somehow, and I don't know how, folks survive on Everest without a floorless tepee tent and titanium stove, crazy right?

Titan_Bow

WKR
REI Half Dome 2 Plus. Is what I’ve got. It’s right at 5 lbs total, but when I go solo elk I usually just run it floorless with just the fly. It’s probably right at 3 lbs that way.

*zap*

WKR
REI Half Dome 2 Plus. Is what I’ve got. It’s right at 5 lbs total, but when I go solo elk I usually just run it floorless with just the fly. It’s probably right at 3 lbs that way.

This is a good point, buying a fly only capable tent is probably a wise choice. USMC has a fly only option called the quick pitch system which uses two connecting straps instead of a footprint. I have used that with two tent poles instead of the normal 3 by also using a trekking pole.

00foreman

FNG
Seek outside has a factory second deal every 6 months or so. Great shelters with minimal if any visible defect. I have a cimmeron and wouldnt go back.

Ratbeetle

WKR
If you're not looking for ultra lightweight, don't discount Kelty. My first backpacking tent was a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. I've used it on countless multi-day trips in CO and it's done well for me. Including footprint and stakes, I think it comes in a little under 5lbs. Cost was about $100 too.

My only complaint is that there is only one door and vestibule. Not a big issue when you're by yourself but a bit more of a pain if you have another person.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
BigCranky made some good recommendations. I have the SMD Lunar Solo and it is plenty big enough for 1 person plus gear, and weighs 24oz and uses trekking poles. I also own the ZPacks Duplex, but haven't used it yet. However, ZPacks stuff is some serious coin.

On the slightly cheaper end of the slide 2 person Big Agnes Copper Spur and Fly Creek tents are around the 2lb mark and extensively used in backpacking circles. I don't own any Tarptent, nor Lightheart Gear, but both come with hundreds of positive reviews.

Look into Cabela's tents? I ran a tent called the dash duo for a few years and spent many nights in snow to thunderstorms. Still have it will use it for truck camping.

I was gonna try the higher end Cabela's tents but found deal on a hilleberg.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Cannot believe no one has mentioned the staple in Tents. The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV 2. I just bought one for an enclosed Tent option at REI Garage Sale for 310$ with the Footprint. weighs in at 3lbs and change with the footprint. Its a well thought out and very nice tent.
Of course I still run my Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 as well when I don't have to worry about bugs. I have that over at Seek Outsides Shop having a stove jack put into it so that I can run my SOS Stove inside of it when temps drop and i need some heat. that weighs in right at 20 ounces. Expensive as hell but very well built.

Edit: Notch I missed your post somehow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cannot believe no one has mentioned the staple in Tents. The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV 2. I just bought one for an enclosed Tent option at REI Garage Sale for 310$ with the Footprint. weighs in at 3lbs and change with the footprint. Its a well thought out and very nice tent.
Of course I still run my Hyperlight Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 as well when I don't have to worry about bugs. I have that over at Seek Outsides Shop having a stove jack put into it so that I can run my SOS Stove inside of it when temps drop and i need some heat. that weighs in right at 20 ounces. Expensive as hell but very well built.

Edit: Notch I missed your post somehow.
That's because in snow the Copper Spur tents get flattened. Great early season tents, but never leave one unattended in snowy conditions. The new bikepacking version of the CS 2 makes more sense for early season. 12 inch pole sections and a burly stuff sack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BHakeneis

FNG
I wanted to buy one just to see it, let me know when you get it setup.

I set it up at home in the yard already, havent used it backpacking yet. Sets up pretty simple, I think I am just going to leave the floor tarp begind because the mesh has a floor in it. I think I could use my trekking poles for the rod in the middle if I need to. Not sure yet if I will take mesh and outer part or just outer part and no floor.

mtmiller

WKR
The two I use are the Black Diamond HiLight and Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1. Dog fits with me in both, but not a second dude. Both shots from Montana Wilderness areas. Come on summer.BA.tent.jpgBD.tent.jpg

BA sans fly

Last edited:
Nemo Losi 3person. Great tent for space and headroom, and solid against bad weather but not a 4 season tent.
Can be run as a fly only set up, can add the footprint so you have a floor and fly, or run the whole thing. Quite flexible in set up options as it is a free standing tent. Plenty of room for 2, and with 1 it is giant.
Just another option. Not super lightweight, but at 5# it isn’t super heavy either.