Backpacking Tents vs Tarps

Chipz

FNG
Anyone here use a tarp or tarp with walls when doing long backcountry trips? Seasons and conditions you use them in? How do they compare to a tent?

I've always used lighter 2 person tents for 3.5 season use and was looking at tarps to shave some weight and bulk.

In the early season I have been using a 6 x 9 tarp with bivy. If weather turned bad I might be in trouble.

Just picked up a Seek Outside Eolus floorless shelter. Going to be using it mid to late September depending on forecast. It offers much better protection.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I use an MLD Patrol tarp duo with a bivy. Tarp with guy lines is 13oz and DCF so there's no stretch. Has an enclosed back and you can raise or lower the sides and front to suit the weather conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Tarps will reduce bulk for sure. However, they do require a bit of practice setting them up. They can be made into just about any shelter you want. For solo or maybe 2 guys, I recommend at least a 10x10.

Tents offer simplicity. Find spot, set up tent. Done.

I will be using a tarp this year. I like the versatility, reduced bulk, and don't really care what the weather is. It would be the same in a single wall tent anyway. One "advantage" a tarp has for me is I can build a fire in front of it if I have to. I don't have a "hot tent" and stove though.

I've been using tarps/floorless shelters for all my hunts now for the last 9 years, and in pretty much all types of weather with the exception of really heavy snows. I've been snowed on while using them, but only an inch or two, so nothing big. My current ultra light 2 person setup weighs 17 oz. including guy lines and stakes, and it's about the same packaged size as a small 1 person tent.

Poser

WKR
I use a 6.5x9.5 doorless tarp until November.
If the weather is going to be particularly heavy, I’ll break out a tarp with doors. Once we get to November, the hot tent comes out. I do have a 4 season conventional tent I bough some years ago for mountaineering, but I haven’t used it in 7 or 8 years. In fact, I’d be more prone to use the Cimarron for such trips short of extreme high winds.

mcndrew

FNG
I've been using tarps/floorless shelters for all my hunts now for the last 9 years, and in pretty much all types of weather with the exception of really heavy snows. I've been snowed on while using them, but only an inch or two, so nothing big. My current ultra light 2 person setup weighs 17 oz. including guy lines and stakes, and it's about the same packaged size as a small 1 person tent.

Can you tell us more about this setup?
Thanks!

Can you tell us more about this setup?
Thanks!
Sure. It's a Dyneema Locus Gear Hapi with 4 mini MSR Ground Hog stakes and 4 titanium shepherd hook stakes.
3a5f451312279e20880319410906648e.jpg

81d82f8764cb30f6c7e0ca7984a0f826.jpg

d07a1b2e11383fc1ddc0d03cf09ee01e.jpg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sure. It's a Dyneema Locus Gear Hapi with 4 mini MSR Ground Hog stakes and 4 titanium shepherd hook stakes.
3a5f451312279e20880319410906648e.jpg

81d82f8764cb30f6c7e0ca7984a0f826.jpg

d07a1b2e11383fc1ddc0d03cf09ee01e.jpg
And, it's in "I'm confident in my manhood" pink. Bears give it a wide berth lol

HoneyDew

WKR
Am I crazy? But I don’t see a center pole. How are you maintaining the vertical shape?

And, it's in "I'm confident in my manhood" pink. Bears give it a wide berth lol

Hey, it's RED damnit!! :D I wanted something that was highly visible and Locus Gear offered it in "red", so that's what I ordered. Ever since I got it, I just keep telling myself, "I wanted high visibility, and that's what I got.":)

Am I crazy? But I don’t see a center pole. How are you maintaining the vertical shape?
When I'm using it with a hunting partner (my son in that photo), I pitch it with two trekking poles and two carbon fiber pole extenders, in an A-frame configuration. I think it probably makes for a little more rigid pitch, and it's nice not having a pole in the center.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey, it's RED damnit!! :D I wanted something that was highly visible and Locus Gear offered it in "red", so that's what I ordered. Ever since I got it, I just keep telling myself, "I wanted high visibility, and that's what I got.":)
Oh, it's visible all right! Fly that flag!

Depends on season and location.
You don’t want a floor less in AZ In late summer or fall, to many critters and bugs. But high country of Utah and Colorado in summer/ fall your good.
I like 10x10 tarp and I just through my bag on a piece of tyvec.