Backpacking Tripod - Slik vs Sirui

I’m looking for a lightweight tripod option used mostly for backpacking. Right now I am looking at Slik 633 and 634 with a Sirui VA 5 head. Is there a stability advantage to going with 3 leg sections verse 4?

Also looking at Sirui T-024SK combo. Glassing will be done sitting, mostly with binos but the occasional spotter.

Opinions? Other options to consider?

Number of leg sections is usually for overall length to packable size. Not for stability.

The closer your optic is to the apex of the tripod the more stable it will be. That said tripods without center columns are more stable. Center columns do allow for quick height change if required. Also, the larger diameter tubes of the tripod legs are more rigid thus more stable and should be used FIRST for reaching the height you need. Only use the smaller tube sections if you cannot get the height you need with the larger ones.

A lot of information in this thread.

I have not used Slik or Sirui tripods so I cannot speak on the tripods you are asking about.

I use a Really Right Stuff TVC-34L MK2 with BH-55LR ball head. My tripod setup is heavy. I backpack with it. Does it suck packing the weight some times? Sure. I deal with it.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Hard to beat the Slik 624 with RRS BPC-16 for a lightweight setup. Would be good for binoculars and a spotter up to 65.

OP
I hunt_dm3
Thank you for the info.

I am aware the leg sections help with the length when compacted. My thought process was going with a 3 section vs 4, the lower section would be thicker, therefore a little sturdier. I have personally never tested that, hoping someone else has or would have more knowledge then I do.

The Sirui T024 with the VA5 head is a fantastic, compact tripod. It will fold up about 4 inches smaller then the Slik and weigh a fraction less. It also has a 6 year warranty vs 1, PLUS it's a lot less money. With the deal we are running now for members here, normally it's $299.90, it's now $254.92 and you get $15 back from Sirui

You can go to our website, www.cameralandny.com and use the code TS21 at checkout for any Sirui tripod or head

Joel
516-217-1000

Doodle

FNG
The Sirui T024 with the VA5 head is a fantastic, compact tripod. It will fold up about 4 inches smaller then the Slik and weigh a fraction less. It also has a 6 year warranty vs 1, PLUS it's a lot less money. With the deal we are running now for members here, normally it's $299.90, it's now $254.92 and you get $15 back from Sirui

You can go to our website, www.cameralandny.com and use the code TS21 at checkout for any Sirui tripod or head

Joel
516-217-1000
Is Sirui still running this rebate?