Backpacking/Truck Tripod

treillw

WKR
I have a small AOKA tripod for going ultra light that I really like. It works great for glassing while seated. Most of the time it's all I need.

I currently have a Swaro 65mm spotter. I plan on getting a 95mm or a 115mm in the future. Even further down the road, I might like to get a BTX.

I would like to get something for standing. I really like the ball head that the AOKA has. At this point, I really just want something for the truck and not necessarily backpacking. At the same time, I don't want to buy something and then want to replace it in 5 years with something that is lighter for backpacking and end up paying more in the long run. It probably won't take much for me to want something more stable than the AOKA in the backcountry, but I don't need it currently.

I guess I'm considering two options. A big heavy clunky cheap tripod for the truck or a top of the line carbon tripod that will do it all and last for life.

Thoughts? Options for both? Who makes the top of the line lightweight tripods out there? Who makes the best utilitarian truck tripods?

It looks like Spartan Precision has some tripods to check out - never seen them before. Any good? Lots of other threads for me to read, but I figured I'd make something specific to my scenario.

Thanks!

Best bet would be the Sirui ST124with VA5 head. Carbon fiber, spiked and rubber feet, weatherproof twist locks, 6 year warranty. Normally $349.90, members here get for $300 and then $30 back from Sirui. Call us at 516-217-1000

Joel
Camera Land

Really Right Stuff is the high standard. There may be a few as good but they are the standard. Pricy but I’ve never seen a regretful review and they’re made in America.

To maximize stability for the weight, look for wide tube diameter, fewer leg sections, and without a center column. There are also differences in carbon quality but that isn’t as easily determined.

I took the plunge on a RRS tfc-33s and it’s been a rock star for my large spotter. Maybe overkill but it’s actually not much heavier than the more common lightweight backpacking tripods. There is a website ‘thecentercolumn’ I think that tested tripods for rigidity and this one was a lot more rigid for 20-30% more weight. For a heavy spotting system at high magnification in any wind, I don’t think there is such as thing as overstabilized.