Backpacking United boot order-Hanwag ??

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
I’m going to order 2 pairs of Hanwag boots to try for fit after hearing great things from my buddy about them. He previously ordered from backpacking United (Germany) as it was the only place you could get the models I want. They used to bill you roughly $45 for shipping and it included all fee’s. Still a epic deal as it’s still a 1/3 cheaper than the 1 or 2 US dealers.
Now shipping is only $13 but you are responsible for the customs fees. I wasted a ton of time trying to figure the fees with no solid answer. Has anyone ordered from them lately? I see there’s a couple threads about them and great feedback.

Block

WKR
I ordered from them recently. It took over a month and they TRIED to “accidentally” mess up the US/Euro exchange rate... luckily I caught them b4 they billed it...

That being said, they quickly corrected the $ error and I received the boots...

Pezboat

WKR
I’ve got the same thoughts. I had a couple pairs of boots in my cart, but couldn’t pull the trigger. Their return policy seemed alright, but I’ve seen several different conversions on shoe size from EU to US. Would hate to get the wrong size and actually try and return a pair.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Was ready to do some hanwags from there but found terrible review after terrible review online scared me and I needed boots quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Why bother? There are so many other good boots that can be ordered without all that hassle.

wyodan

WKR
Why bother? There are so many other good boots that can be ordered without all that hassle.
Totally worth it for the savings and to get that brand. I've worn many brands of boots, and have found nothing close to as good of a fit as the Hanwag.

I ordered my hanwag Makras from them last year. They came within a couple weeks and I think even after the fees they were cheaper than buying in the states. Plus the makras are awesome boots in my opinion. I’ve had multiple pairs of la sportiva and my hanwags blow them out of the water. Just as stiff and they’re almost as light as Nike tennis shoes

I've bought Hanwags from them 2 or 3 years ago. At that time it was definitely worth the price savings. I don't see why "euro" sizing has to be a concern. All of these european made boots have the euro sizes listed with US sizes here, I see no more risk than ordering in US sizes and having one maker fit a bit different than another.

wildcat33

WKR
Totally worth it for the savings and to get that brand. I've worn many brands of boots, and have found nothing close to as good of a fit as the Hanwag.

Fair enough. My experience with Hanwag was not good. Maybe Sierra Trading Post just gets the duds.

wyodan

WKR
Fair enough. My experience with Hanwag was not good. Maybe Sierra Trading Post just gets the duds.
I get the best fit out of them for sure, but they aren't lasting as long as I would like them to. But a lot of that has to do with them getting wet nearly everytime I'm in the field, especially during the spring. And I don't do a real good job of taking care of the leather. But boots are so individual for each person, if I found something comparable in both price and fit, I would try them out. In the long run though, I am getting a full leather boot at close to or equal to a pair of Salomon Quests.

walleyes

FNG
I picked up a pair of tatra II from there and if you aren’t in a rush it is a good deal. I had to return a pair which was a pain but in the end it was still cheaper than I could get here in Canada

Jason_307

FNG
I ordered a pair if the Hanwag badile ii from them on April 16 and I received them today. There were no extra charges or anything but they did require a signature.