Backpacking watch, - large display, alarm, and easy...

Tod osier

WKR
I'm looking for a watch that does 2 things: 1) easy to read at night (and day) and 2) has an alarm that is easy to set, see that it is set and is foolproof. Easy to program in general would be an asset - I know I'm getting old and cranky but I don't need two different time options, 27 different stopwatch, lap timer, countdown timer options, etc...

I don't usually wear a watch, but always do on trips when I'm out of cellphone range. I'm at the age where I need cheaters to read a normal watch and that is a PITA to put glasses on at night (which is the most common time I want to check), so I'm looking for a big display. Also something easy to set the time (changing time zones) and set the alarm. Looking for the jitterbug phone equiv in a watch.

Suggestions?!?!

Hathcock

FNG
It may be more complicated than you are looking for, it does have a stop watch, count down timer, up to five different alarm clocks, but I really like the Casio gshock gd350-8. It has a big easy to read display, the modes are easy to set, the backlighting is really bright and can practically be used for a small light in a pinch in a dark room. In addition to an audible alarm it also has a vibration alarm which I use as my daily alarm.121190

Last edited:
I like this timex expedition. It has vibration alarms and you can set three off them. I tend to need a few set , 5 minutes apart to get me going when it’s on my wrist. It’s a simple watch as well. You can set two time zones too.

5f8cd065e339e3170aa9ff184c0b4318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perrin713

FNG
Been using a Garmin Instinct for a few months now. Very happy with the watch. Battery life is very good.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Been using a Garmin Instinct for a few months now. Very happy with the watch. Battery life is very good.

I think the instinct or similar would be great, but the battery life would be a challenge. I have a trip planned for most years, including next year, that is minimum 14 days in the field and that would be at the limit. Even though they do a lot of things, they would meet my simplicity criteria no problem given the garmin devices I own. If battery live were a month, I’d be all over it.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
It may be more complicated than you are looking for, it does have a stop watch, count down timer, up to five different alarm clocks, but I really like the Casio gshock gd350-8. It has a big easy to read display, the modes are easy to set, the backlighting is really bright and can practically be used for a small light in a pinch in a dark room. In addition to an audible alarm it also has a vibration alarm which I use as my daily alarm.

I’ll check it out thanks. That is a nice big display

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Casio Rangeman G-Shock.

Attachments

• 4DD019B2-8093-43E3-BC55-931F5F2F847E.jpeg
    4DD019B2-8093-43E3-BC55-931F5F2F847E.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 59A08CE6-C1F2-47C0-8853-5A9944E127BC.jpeg
    59A08CE6-C1F2-47C0-8853-5A9944E127BC.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 23

jb1316

FNG
I just bought a Tiimex Ironman FS for backpacking. My other watch is an Apple Watch and the charge only lasts 2 days. This Ironman is large, basic, and waterproof, cheap and easy to use.

Casio ProTrek. Solar powered, has compass and altimeter, along with ability to set numerous alarms. Great watch.

Backyard

WKR
I think the instinct or similar would be great, but the battery life would be a challenge. I have a trip planned for most years, including next year, that is minimum 14 days in the field and that would be at the limit. Even though they do a lot of things, they would meet my simplicity criteria no problem given the garmin devices I own. If battery live were a month, I’d be all over it.
I gather you'd be bringing something to charge your phone, just bring the charging cord for the watch. That's what I do, it takes next to nothing to charge it and for a 2 week stint you'd most likely charge 1 time. Instinct is a nice watch.

boom

WKR

I have the Instinct as well. But also share your concerns. That 14 day battery life is problem. It’s way shorter if you use the GPS. I wear mine to track my mtn bike rides and two- three rides is a big hit for the battery.

It’s a great watch. I don’t need my reading glasses to see the time. I do if I’m going thru the activities.

My old watch is the Casio Pathfinder 1300 G -something. Solar power. The watch is prob 15-18 years old and still goes and goes. Solar powered. I wear it for long trips and long vacations. It’s simple and also easy to see with my eyes.

It may have more functions than you indicated that you were interested in, but the Suunto Core, has served me pretty reliably over the last 8-10 years. Decent display size and it has a reasonable user interface.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 17

Dinger

WKR
Mine has a a 4" display so easy to read, does everything you need plus it's a gps, camera, barometer, torch and waterproof.

Samsung S10.