Backpacking Water Bucket

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone use a collapsible water bucket on their backcountry trips? Was thinking it would make pumping water from ponds/streams a little easier. Fill up the bucket, let water settle, then pump. This way I dont have to worry about sinking in the mud or drapping stuff in the water.

This season I want to avoid pumping water 2-3 times a day to fill up my 100oz camelback. So I was hoping to take in a collapsable 5 gallon coleman water bag and pump water every 2-3 days and haul it back to camp (about 700 yards from the pond) Then I only need to pump midday into my camelback for daytime needs.

Anyone done this or have a suggestin for a good collapsible bucket?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Take the money you were gonna by for a water bucket and get a Sawyer inline filter, then you'll be pumping ZERO times the entire hunting season. :D

Lawnboi

WKR
Go over in the lightweight section there is a very good read on bigger water storage items.

They make collapseable buckets, but i think a ziplock and a few rocks or sticks works just fine as well. In fact i keep one with my water filter for that very reason. Plus a ziplock is cheap, and light

rodney482

WKR
Yes.... I used the Sea to Summit collapsible kitchen sink last year on a back country elk hunt

I used one side to gather drinking water and the other side to wash my dishes and clothes in.

Washing clothes using the little sea to summit soap leaves was the cats meow.

http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-kitchen-sink

* for drinking water I also used my katadyn hiker pro

Last edited: