Backpacking with a dog with cold nights

trk3263

WKR
I am doing a overnight trip next week and I would like to take my 2 year old lab. What is everyone's thoughts on what I will need for her at night since it should be in the lower 30's. she normally sleeps in the un heated attached garage in a kennel at night. I am not worried about her running off just not sure if I need to take something to keep her warm at night.

jherald

WKR
One of those green wool military blankets are good. Use one of those for my lab tent camping in the low 30's.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
the wool blankets are great, but they weigh about 8 lbs. Instead, I use one of two things:

1. My first option is to lay down one of my heavier cold weather jackets, and during the day I use it or stow it. The insulating properties will keep the cold from leeching from the ground to your pup. Her hair is insulation enough for 30 degree temps.

2. I also bought a cheap sleeping bag that we designate for just the dogs to share at night to keep the ground cold off the pups.

Good luck.

Mike7

WKR
I do spring camping in those temps with my dogs that have less hair and subcutaneous fat than a lab, and they seem to do just fine by curling up next to my sleeping bag on a cheap blue foam pad from Walmart.

7mag.

WKR
She's a Lab, she doesn't need anything. My Labs have always lived outside and have spent many nights in single digits with no issues. Labs hair is hollow and acts as insulation, similar to a Polar Bear.

Lukem

WKR
I do spring camping in those temps with my dogs that have less hair and subcutaneous fat than a lab, and they seem to do just fine by curling up next to my sleeping bag on a cheap blue foam pad from Walmart.
I'd second that. 30's for a lab is balmy. When my GSP was a pup, I went to bring him inside on a morning that was 4F and a ffot of snow on the ground. Was he sleeping in his dog house? Nope, curled up in a snowdrift doing just fine. Dogs are built for the cold.

MTtrout

WKR
I do a lot of year round backpacking with my felame lab and anything in the mid 30's and above I do nothing extra. As stated above she will be just fine laying up against your sleeping bag and pad. When the temps drop lower I pack in her 5mm neoprene hunting vest and that keeps her plenty warm. Enjoy the trip!

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Ok thanks for all the help that's what I was thinking to just take one of those cheap light mats from Wally World.

On another note I often think I would like to take her more on trips but always worried about her scent with animals and I don't think she can go on any hunts in oregon unless it is upland.

Does anyone on here take their dogs hunting and other game?