Backpacks and Horses

I am considering putting a deposit on a wilderness hunt that would require a lot of time on a horse. I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite with a Woodsman that is a good size for me for an day pack. I also have a KUIU Ultra Frame and Bag that is also at my disposal... My question is, those of you that have spent time on horses...what day pack did you find that worked or didn't work well when riding a horse.

I am wondering if I should be considering an interior framed pack in lieu of an exterior one.

Blessings~

I'll join with a similar but more specific question, as I have no horseback hunting experience. I'm interested in taking a Stryker XL/24" frame on a wilderness horsepacking trip. Not sure how the horse, saddle, hip belt/frame will get along.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I normally take a smaller built in frame pack over my heavy hauling separate frame/bag pack when the horses and mules come.

Let them carry the extra gear.

EdP

WKR
Don't plan on wearing much of a pack while riding a horse, especially not a frame pack. You want to be able to let your spine flex and a frame won't let you do that. Put gear in the saddlebags and wear a small pack low down on your back. The last thing you want is to put weight up high on your back raising your center of gravity. Get weight up between your shoulders and have your horse get frisky you could easily find your face in the dirt. One outfitter I hunted with recommended using a large fanny pack and had saddlebags on all the stock. Another had the rifle scabbard on one side of the saddle and put your rucksack hanging off the saddle horn on the other side as counterbalance. Both systems worked.

Read1t48

WKR
I second this. I used rawhide gear packs for many years. Check them out. They are based out of LaPine, Oregon. A great company. I no longer have horses and will put mine up for sale at some point. Having said that, I used to wear my Kifaru frame all the time while riding. And I rode in an Australian saddle with a high cantle. If you can ride with a frame in that type of saddle, you can ride it in any. I would usually ride about 7 miles in with the pack. And then 7 out at the end of the hunt. Wouldn’t want to do it much longer than that for the reasons mentioned above

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’ve spent a lot of time in the saddle and a lot of time under a pack. Pairing the two isn’t an easy riddle to solve.

Generally, when horse packing, I want a pack that will haul my day hunting needs and have the capability of packing game.

Finding a pack that will do all of that is easy. Finding the appropriate system that’s simple and carried safely and efficiently horseback is a different story.

I don’t have the answer, but while thinking and looking for the answer, a Mystery Ranch Pop Up of the appropriate size strapped behind the cantle paired with a Mesa Horse Gear ‘Scout Package’ for optics intrigued me.

That said, you’re talking going with an outfitter. They do this daily and I assure you they have a system. Ask them. They may have a dedicated pack animal to carry your kit. They also might not care that you just wear your pack.

Personally, I detest wearing a pack while riding.

mntnguide

WKR
I can't stand wearing a pack riding if i can help it. It will make you miserable especially if you are in rough country and covering lots of miles. If you are going outfitted, they should have enough stock to have a day pack type horse/mule for a pack and gear that can be accessible. Even when hunting solo, i can carry my entire day in saddle bags. Knives, water, gps, lunch etc all go into my saddle bags and pommel bags so i don't need to carry a pack. If you must have a pack, smaller the better. When you have a frame pack that rides down on your hips, it will hit the cantle and continually push your body forward making riding uncomfortable and your balance will be effected, which in turn will effect your horse going through rough areas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm not much into packs anymore as I can't raise my arm above my shoulder. I have saddle bags and a multi- pocket vest. As a previous poster said I hang an electric saw off my horn to counter the gun.

My partner likes a pack but has learned to hang it off the horn to counter the gun. Lunches, water bottles and whatever end up in the saddle bags during riding.

Weight balance is everything with horses.

Marble

WKR
I am considering putting a deposit on a wilderness hunt that would require a lot of time on a horse. I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite with a Woodsman that is a good size for me for an day pack. I also have a KUIU Ultra Frame and Bag that is also at my disposal... My question is, those of you that have spent time on horses...what day pack did you find that worked or didn't work well when riding a horse.

I am wondering if I should be considering an interior framed pack in lieu of an exterior one.

Blessings~

I carry a 26" kifaru. I like that size because I can loosen the lack enough to where the bottom rides down on the back of my saddle, taking the weight off of my back. A smaller 24" would probably do the same thing.

But other guys I hunt with just carry their pack normally.

If you are asking which bag to carry, I generally carry a larger bag. I've never walked off the mountain and wished I carried a smaller pack.

Lots variables to your question.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
I use a mystery ranch Metcalf, which is a big pack for horseback. I have no issue with riding with it. Although after a few hours, it is nice to get off the horse and take the pack off.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I have done 4 hunts using horses for both the ride into our base camp as well as the daily excursion. The outfitter providing the horse strongly recommends you don't wear a frame pack. They evidently had incident when the ride got sketchy, and the rider shifted position enough that the frame poked the horses back hard enough to spook it. Result was the rider ended up being air lifted out after being "ejected" and breaking a leg.

Saddle bags to provide some available storage so what my day pack has been limited to a day pack. For me that is now the KUIU Venture 2300. We have always been able to get horse in for meat pack out, so I have never needed a frame pack. Something in the size of the 2300 is more than adequate for me. That particular back fits me well and doesn't ride down on me too low. Too low and it might hit the back of the saddle (I believe it is called the cantle) and could be uncomfortable with a lot of riding.

I agree with previous poster, wearing a pack on a horse can be uncomfortable and keeping it small and minimize the weight in it will be best.

OP
Huntingfarandwide
OK....good intel...I am not so worried about the ride in as much as a daily ride to a point then on foot the rest of the day...looks like a smaller internal framed pack big enough for my personals is the thought here.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
OK....good intel...I am not so worried about the ride in as much as a daily ride to a point then on foot the rest of the day...looks like a smaller internal framed pack big enough for my personals is the thought here.

Who is bringing the stock? Is your group ponying a pack horse/ mule daily?

By far my preference is to have a packhorse haul the packs in panniers. Needs to be a good packhorse though, because your expensive gear can get trashed pretty quickly in a wreck.

I have spent many miles with a full size pack in while riding, and it is certainly manageable, but I much prefer to ride without one.

OP
Huntingfarandwide
Who is bringing the stock? Is your group ponying a pack horse/ mule daily?

By far my preference is to have a packhorse haul the packs in panniers. Needs to be a good packhorse though, because your expensive gear can get trashed pretty quickly in a wreck.

I have spent many miles with a full size pack in while riding, and it is certainly manageable, but I much prefer to ride without one.
This would be the outfitter. I believe once we pack into our remote camp that everyday we will be spending time on horses getting deeper and or to different areas than where camp is. I will concede that the packs I have are probably not set up for sitting in a saddle....(Kifaru - Kuiu). I am thinking that they are too large and or extend down and will hit the saddle at some point....not sure but looking for experiences with this scenario.

PA Hunter

WKR
Most of them wilderness guides will frown on backpacks on horses, some might not let you on their horses with it. Definetly don’t take a frame pack, if they allow it a small daypack may be best. You will most likely pack in with multiple mules and horses carrying your gear plus have a small lunch bag on your horse. All the guides I have been around do not like packs on their hunters.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This would be the outfitter. I believe once we pack into our remote camp that everyday we will be spending time on horses getting deeper and or to different areas than where camp is. I will concede that the packs I have are probably not set up for sitting in a saddle....(Kifaru - Kuiu). I am thinking that they are too large and or extend down and will hit the saddle at some point....not sure but looking for experiences with this scenario.

I would ask the outfitter about this specifically. He may have a system in place like the pack horse I mentioned.

I have worn full size Kifaru and Kuiu packs on horseback, and it was annoying with the pack bumping the cantle all the time … but it worked. However I still prefer to have them in a pack horse pannier and take them out when I need them.

AKSandman

FNG
Have hunted a fair bit with horses so I’ll chime in.

Use your pommel and saddle bags for the gear you need for the day. Put you empty pack in a top pack on your packhorse. Putting weight up high by wearing a backpack while riding will make you and your horses life more difficult. If you get thrown, a backpack is one more thing to get strangled by if you get hung up (particularly with a sternum strap) Also, put your scabbard with the barrel facing forward unless you fancy breaking your stock off at the bolt. If you are carrying too much stuff to fit it in pommel and saddle bags, put it in an easily accessible top pack pocket or consider slimming down on your gadgets.

If you have two guys hunting, you can substitute hard panniers on a packhorse with external frame backpacks with mule tape or gangion loops tied to the frame so you can hook it onto the pack saddle. Then it’s real easy to just grab your loaded pack off the horse and go do your thing.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to horseback my biggest concern is pack height. I don’t like a tall pack with large lids and what not. My worry is it could get hung up on overhanging branches. My Kuiu frame rides well and doesn’t seem to bounce off a horse as much as a frameless pack but it’s not a large frame compared to some other brands.

tntrker

WKR
I’m going on a guided backcountry tent/horse hunt in Sept as well and this never really crossed my mind about questioning… I was planning on using my Sitka Flash 20 pack as my gear/water hauler. But I guess it can ride along on the pack horse until we stop….