Backstop and Targets - DIY

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Before someone flames me with "read the posts in the forum"... I have - at least the ones that came up with search terms I typed in. If I missed any I fReAkInG aPoLoGiZe... :)

Here is my need...

1. Want to shoot indoor safely and I don't have any "brick walls" to make it safe like some of the posts.
2. Want too shoot outdoor (actually set up a range - I have 20 acres) and stop loosing so many arrows
3. Want to create my own targets (not 3D, just square/round ones) that will stop my arrows better without eating my vanes and tearing up my arrows (I shoot a lot). On this point I have tried a bunch of cheap and some expensive targets and most of them except the dense foam ones tend to allow my arrows even out to 40+ yards shoot to the vanes and I am constantly "loosing" arrows (to maintenance - replacing vanes).

now before I get the typical set of answers...
1. I have used carpet as a backstop - it is a mess, doesn't do so well if it gets wet and actually wears pretty quickly. Not too mention I find it rough as hell on arrows, including the shafts.
2. I have used stall mats. Its a love/hate relationship. They definitely stop arrows but often times it takes an act of god to get the arrows out and my god they are heavy as hell and awkward to hang. You gotta use heavy duty stuff to hang em.
3. On targets... Just want to make some the size I want to make em and to be able to "resurface" them (replace layers) so every year when I tune broardheads I am not buying a whole new set of targets - damn archery gets expensive!

Like I said outdoorwise I have 20 acres and am slowly buying some premium 3D targets to create some scenario based lanes. In addition I would like to create some 20/30/40/50/60... lanes for target, harness, and other shooting practices. I don't want a lot of heavy fixtures (4x4 in concrete) as it is a working farm things move around from time to time.

Insidewise, I have a 10 yard, and 15 yard spaces to shoot that I want to be able to tune bows, practice when it is raining like hell, and other activities. Again these spots need to be mobile and moved out of the way when not in use.

I shoot: diamond sb deploy, bowtech revolt, and elite kure all at 30.5"/70 lb

Thank you ahead of time...

I have been looking at these for a backstop, I haven't bought one yet but I may for this spring/summer.

I can't help with making your own targets, but I would like to see what you come up with. It sounds like you want to make your own foam targets since you mentioned broadheads. I have been looking at finding some two part foam and making my targets out of it but haven't found the right one yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
For targets go to your local club, see if they will sell you and old school target without a replaceable insert.(think the old rhineharts) You can get repair/refresh kits from various places to renew the foam on the target. prolongs the life of the old school targets. A lot of clubs tossed those out, and a few people I know picked them up to refresh them and still use them in their acreages.

Doesn't also hurt to know a few art students who are good at air brushing. Some of the targets look even better then they were new. wish I had pics. I also found a video on youtube where the guy was renewing targets for the local club. he had kits set up or links to where to get the materials from.

edit: here is the link below to the guys YouTube page, scroll thru the videos and he has some i believe on renewing the targets. think it was in the tips/tricks where ehe builds targets (zombies and renews a couple of old ones)

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmr12508

There's a DIY target video that Corey Jacobsen made. Its pretty much a wood frame, card board sheets on 2 sides wrapped in tarp and then stuffed with plastic. Im in the process of making it now. I'll put in the basement over the winter for shooting my recurve and not putting holes in the wall(it's 4'x4') then move it outside in the spring. It's cheap for the size of target you're making. The downside is it's for field points only. I keep a separate rhinehart around that's just for broadheads. Works for me.