Backstop for shooting inside your house?

87TT

WKR
I have dry fired a couple of bows over the years (not lately). They were all fine. Check it out, but new strings and cable and it is probably fine. Unless the limbs are shattered or the cams obviously bent. That said, if you need an excuse for a new bow?

87TT

WKR
I have a double layer of stall mat over a piece of T1-11 siding on the wall in my garage for my paper tuning set up. Probably overkill.

You asked for a "follie" or problem from shooting in the house. I have one for you. Let me set it up a little bit first.

Bought an older home that was built in the early 60's. Finally got around to gutting and refinishing the basement. Among those improvements was many many many layers of specialty primer and paint to convert a masonry fireplace wall to a white color instead of the very dark brown it had been its whole life.

Long story short, I set my Rhinehart XL target up on the hearth to the side of our brand new Napolean fireplace insert and began shooting the 7-8 yards across the room. Then....as I was drawing back, I accidentally touched the thumb trigger on my release and off went that 445 grain Carbon Injexion arrow at about 275 fps across the room. It flew right over the target and slammed into the freshly painted masonry. Needless to say, the wife was not happy when she found the chunk of brick laying on the hearth and the exposed brown hole about 2" in diameter just inches from the new fireplace.

I NOW rarely shoot inside, but when I do, it is in the next room that needs remodeling. DOH!!

and thats exactly why ive decided to never shoot in my new place im moving into. i live literally a 2 minute drive from a spot where i could shoot in the woods safely. no need to put a hole in my wall.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping the dry fire didn't ruin my bow - putting a lot of faith in the reports about the strength of the Redwrx carbon ...

Ugh, hopefully it works out, I know Hoyts are tough. After I dropped my bow onto the concrete floor and looked at it, everything looked fine and pretty sure the stabalizer/sight took a brunt of the impact.

I did put my shooting glasses on for the next 20 or so shots :ROFLMAO:

Good deal on Helix here.

fatlander

WKR
Honestly man it’s not worth it to shoot in the house. You’re going to put an arrow through something that you’re not supposed to eventually. Heck I was shooting outside the other day and my dog snuck up behind me and touched his nose to my leg. I’d already hit the click on my hinge so in my surprise from the dog I came out of valley and sent an arrow into never land. My point being, accidents happen. That’s why they call them accidents, but shooting in the house isn’t a question of if, it’s when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I just set my target against the wall and shoot. I haven't had an issue in 20+ years of doing this but I only shoot as needed inside due to weather. I can shoot to 50 yards in my backyard.

BFL

FNG
Another vote for the horse stall matt. If you have the space to put one up, do it you won't regret it. Grab a buddy though cause THEY ARE HEAVY and tricky to handle by yourself.

Rich M

WKR
I was using a carpet hung over a rope with a sheet of plywood behind it for a stop in my side yard - can do 30 yards. Don't want to go skipping into the neighbor's yard.

In the house - you can make a cardboard backstop - maybe 18 or 24 inches thick - not likely to get an arrow thru that. I use cardboard targets outside and replace en as necessary - cheap & easy and works well.

v37co

FNG
Just make it big enough you can’t miss

Attachments

• C5FC8F14-02D8-47FC-892B-843A225D32C4.jpeg
    C5FC8F14-02D8-47FC-892B-843A225D32C4.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Early this morning I thought I figured it out. I set up the target in a storage room with a foundation backstop. Not very far to shoot (5-7 yards?), but can't hurt, right? Wrong.

View attachment 197655

So I fire a couple arrows and not a problem, right? But I guess in my Coronavirus haze, and the relative new use of a thumb release (recent switch from wrist), I floundered and DRY FIRED my bow. String blown, and perhaps my cams too.

View attachment 197656

Should have waited until head cleared and focus on one thing at time. Idiot!!

Find anything out yet?

Wow. That’s gutsy!

I thought I had figured out a good place outside my basement. See picture. 11 yards before counting the depth of target. Then my buddy pointed out the obvious problem - one in front and two behind it.

View attachment 197033

What does the shooting lane look like if you stand at the ac units looking back the other way (where you are standing when you took the picture)? Can you set the target up where you are now standing, and shoot from the ac units?

MTSabo

WKR
I was banned by my wife after an index release pulled apart and subsequently went through a window...

HH393

FNG
I’m glad I’m not the only one who fires arrows through their house. I think the stall mats will work as well, I have a few of them for just in case. My only mishap is from shooting out the target and arrows sailing through. My garage door took an arrow but it was slowed down significantly so little damage

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What does the shooting lane look like if you stand at the ac units looking back the other way (where you are standing when you took the picture)? Can you set the target up where you are now standing, and shoot from the ac units?
Really appreciate thinking of options. Unfortunately aiming away from the AC units would make my neighbor’s house the new backstop. And they have young kids who rudely play in their front yard.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m glad I’m not the only one who fires arrows through their house. I think the stall mats will work as well, I have a few of them for just in case. My only mishap is from shooting out the target and arrows sailing through. My garage door took an arrow but it was slowed down significantly so little damage
I may need to go with mats hanging in the garage (but our dining room is on the other side of the garage drywall...). I just need to find someone with more yard not too far away.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
I have a B.U.P "The Shield" and am very happy with it for shooting inside my house. Yes, we have had misses and it stops even micro diameter arrows coming out of an #80 bow.

2nd the BUP Shield recommendation. Only had one misfire and it caught the arrow. Well worth the investment.

Fatcamp

WKR
Should have read this before heading downstairs. Good news is I have an indoor 10 yard range. Needs some work though.

KIMG3527.JPG

Trial153

WKR
I use a bag hanging ...I also patched few holes in the sheet rock when I hit a soft spot.