Backstop for shooting inside your house?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got an itch to put together a short-range (5-10 yards) setup inside my house or basement. I've got a Matrix block target, but I'm looking at something like a green netting backstop to guard against my inevitable flounder that would otherwise put an arrow into or through the drywall. Anyone have such a setup? And is there anyone who has some good stories of how this worked, or didn't?

TomJoad

WKR
I just set one up with cheap carpet x 4 layers. I took two pieces 6' x 12' and draped separately over two 2x4s for 4 separate layers. Works great. Everything is loose and free, I only stapled the fold to the 2x4 to locate them. There are about 3-4" between the layers. Carpet was $60 and 2x4s were scrap lying around the shop. I'm only shooting trad recurve but no field points make it to the last layer.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow. That’s gutsy!

I thought I had figured out a good place outside my basement. See picture. 11 yards before counting the depth of target. Then my buddy pointed out the obvious problem - one in front and two behind it.

IMG-1012.jpg

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
Yeah. I have a 26 yard lane in the backyard. For that, I use an 8x4 piece of plywood for a backstop.

mtholton

FNG
Agree to the last comment. I have a horse mat hung behind my targets outside. I have carabiners attached to it then hung on a wood frame to support it. It will stop any arrow at point blank range. Has a little give since its hanging and made of heavy duty rubber so it doesn't wreck the arrow.

Firehawk

WKR
You asked for a "follie" or problem from shooting in the house. I have one for you. Let me set it up a little bit first.

Bought an older home that was built in the early 60's. Finally got around to gutting and refinishing the basement. Among those improvements was many many many layers of specialty primer and paint to convert a masonry fireplace wall to a white color instead of the very dark brown it had been its whole life.

Long story short, I set my Rhinehart XL target up on the hearth to the side of our brand new Napolean fireplace insert and began shooting the 7-8 yards across the room. Then....as I was drawing back, I accidentally touched the thumb trigger on my release and off went that 445 grain Carbon Injexion arrow at about 275 fps across the room. It flew right over the target and slammed into the freshly painted masonry. Needless to say, the wife was not happy when she found the chunk of brick laying on the hearth and the exposed brown hole about 2" in diameter just inches from the new fireplace.

I NOW rarely shoot inside, but when I do, it is in the next room that needs remodeling. DOH!!

bat-cave

WKR
I have a B.U.P "The Shield" and am very happy with it for shooting inside my house. Yes, we have had misses and it stops even micro diameter arrows coming out of an #80 bow.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
You asked for a "follie" or problem from shooting in the house. I have one for you. Let me set it up a little bit first.

Bought an older home that was built in the early 60's. Finally got around to gutting and refinishing the basement. Among those improvements was many many many layers of specialty primer and paint to convert a masonry fireplace wall to a white color instead of the very dark brown it had been its whole life.

Long story short, I set my Rhinehart XL target up on the hearth to the side of our brand new Napolean fireplace insert and began shooting the 7-8 yards across the room. Then....as I was drawing back, I accidentally touched the thumb trigger on my release and off went that 445 grain Carbon Injexion arrow at about 275 fps across the room. It flew right over the target and slammed into the freshly painted masonry. Needless to say, the wife was not happy when she found the chunk of brick laying on the hearth and the exposed brown hole about 2" in diameter just inches from the new fireplace.

I NOW rarely shoot inside, but when I do, it is in the next room that needs remodeling. DOH!!
Ouch - that's exactly what I was seeking. Unfortunately I may have jinxed myself. See below.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Early this morning I thought I figured it out. I set up the target in a storage room with a foundation backstop. Not very far to shoot (5-7 yards?), but can't hurt, right? Wrong.

1594855620794.jpeg

So I fire a couple arrows and not a problem, right? But I guess in my Coronavirus haze, and the relative new use of a thumb release (recent switch from wrist), I floundered and DRY FIRED my bow. String blown, and perhaps my cams too.

1594855697221.jpeg

Should have waited until head cleared and focus on one thing at time. Idiot!!

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Early this morning I thought I figured it out. I set up the target in a storage room with a foundation backstop. Not very far to shoot (5-7 yards?), but can't hurt, right? Wrong.

View attachment 197655

So I fire a couple arrows and not a problem, right? But I guess in my Coronavirus haze, and the relative new use of a thumb release (recent switch from wrist), I floundered and DRY FIRED my bow. String blown, and perhaps my cams too.

View attachment 197656

Should have waited until head cleared and focus on one thing at time. Idiot!!

Yikes, that's the worst. I put an arrow through the drywall in my garage a few days ago (3rd shot with new bow), I must have hit the thumb button when drawing and released the around at like 1/5 draw.

Didn't have a wrist sling on so the bow hit the ground hard but thankfully no real damage besides a scuff or 2.

elkguide

WKR
I shoot in my basement all winter. I have a Spider Web target and 2 old hot tub covers standing against the wall. Before the hot tub covers I used the hanging carpet trick and that worked well too.

Rubber stall mat. Make sure you leave at least a foot behind the mat. It doesn’t stop them instantly.

I have had good luck with a layered approach. Horse stall mat then to layers of 2” foam insulation.

Northpark

WKR
In our old house I could shoot 12 yards in the basement. I set a block in front of the basement door which was single layer wood. In five years I only missed once (release failure) and it went about 12” into the door and stopped so wood doors work ok. It was an old door so the small hole was no big deal.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm hoping the dry fire didn't ruin my bow - putting a lot of faith in the reports about the strength of the Redwrx carbon ...

JoeDirt

WKR
I have a horse stall mat hanging from the rafters in my garage. It seems to do a good job stopping arrows.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, now I'm posting a question about repair vs replace in the Archery forum. Ugh.