Backstrap bites!

Jdog

WKR
Killed this guy in Ky in Nov on public land.
IMG_2102.jpg

He ended up like this! Backstrap marinated in your favorite marinade. Butterfly the strap into small steaks. 1-2 jalepenos, a slice a cream cheese, wrap in bacon each steak and toothpick together. Grill to medium rare! DOWNRIGHT ILLEGAL IN FRANCE!
IMG_2139.jpg

R

rebecca francis

That looks so good! I am going to have to try that.

RUTTIN

WKR
Dang you made my mouth water! I'm headed to the freezer to get some elk backstraps out right now and try that!

bnkwnto

FNG
Can't find that in the chow hall or in a MRE. I think I have some sheep backstrap still (if the wife didn't eat it all). I'll have to try that out when I get home.

This is one of my favorite recipes. Here is a detailed recipe.

backstrap.

Bacon- thin sliced and cheap

toothpicks

cream cheese

teriyaki –not soy sauce- marinade

garlic powder (not garlic salt!)

pepper

pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices

polish sausage sliced thin

Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers (I use canned jalapenos)

onion- Cut into slivers 1 in. long

meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the venison out and cut 3/4 in filets.
Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.
Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Teriyaki marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.
Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.
Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.
Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.
Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.
Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.
Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it. About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.
Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.

That stuff's a staple down here. We substitute duck a lot. Meat, cream cheese, jalapeno, wrapped in bacon is all it needs! I've substituted gruyere cheese for the cream cheese, and asparagus or serrano peppers for the jalapeno. Maple bacon gives it a nice sweet flavor. Man am I getting hungry now!