Backup battery chargers

welpro222

WKR
So I am looking at getting a Dark Energy backup battery for my charging needs. It will be used for my cell, Garmin inreach, Garmin Fenix watch, and maybe a rechargable headlamp too. For those that have more experience with these, is one charger good enough for a 4-5 day backcountry hunt?

Limited experience with these devices.What experience have had with mine been good.Son bought two a while back off egg head. Gave me one and have had it work great. His has been a no show since day one. Moral of story: buy early to test run, test run to see just how much it will do

My Galaxy 7 takes over 2500 mah to charge it from around 10-15%. A 10,000 MAH Dark Energy would only charge my phone about 4 times, and nothing else on top of that.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a new Trent for several years hunting. Works very well keeping the iPhone charged. I put the new Trent on my suntactics panel during the day and charge at night.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think I'm charger cursed. I have had around 10 and most have quit on me especially the connections. They get a little damp and quit charging. Ankers have been the worse for me. I have also busted a few cables. I run a Ravpower(26,800 mah)because the Dark Energy(10,000 mah) is just not enough juice for multi-day hunts for me.

[video=youtube_share;w1qy0vR_jA8]https://youtu.be/w1qy0vR_jA8?list=PLFPSw13f3W6uNaEwFpkH6QQszAImKOsy m[/video]

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your Feedback on the Anker Ryan. Maybe I will go with the Ravpower instead. I so far have had good luck with the cheaper charging packs. Well, to be honest, I guess most don't get over a year's use as they keeping getting the much larger cap. each year if feel the need to get the last/biggest ones. LOL

As for the cords. I have had good luck with the newer Anker braided cables. The newer ones have silver connectors vs gold.

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking on using the ThruNite C2 Mini with some 18650 batteries. I weighed my Anker 26800 battery bank at 21oz... it would take 8 18650 batteries for the same amount of juice which the weight would be 14.5oz including the C2 charger. this way I would only have to take what I needed for the time I am out to save weight... If I am out for a day hunt and I know I will need to charge my phone battery once, I would only need to take the C2 with 1 battery and it would only weigh 3oz total..20170502_235223.jpg

Attachments

• 20170502_235223.jpg
    20170502_235223.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I think I'm charger cursed. I have had around 10 and most have quit on me especially the connections. They get a little damp and quit charging. Ankers have been the worse for me. I have also busted a few cables. I run a Ravpower(26,800 mah)because the Dark Energy(10,000 mah) is just not enough juice for multi-day hunts for me.

[video=youtube_share;w1qy0vR_jA8]https://youtu.be/w1qy0vR_jA8?list=PLFPSw13f3W6uNaEwFpkH6QQszAImKOsy m[/video]

Sounds like your the perfect tester for Ankers new cable Anker | PowerLine II Dura Lightning Cable 1ft | Black

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I will try out what I have in hand at the moment and maybe include a solar charger too. I see a few members that run a battery charger during night for charger the gizmos and then letting the solar panel charge the battery pack during the day.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard nothing but good things about Dark Energy. I'm getting ready to test one out. Before that, I've used all sorts of cheaper battery chargers, including solar chargers. I just did a video on this topic here: Backcountry Chargers

Good luck

Tsnider

WKR
something to think about is a smaller charger and a solar panel depending on where your using it. i got the suntactics charger, and will get a 10000mah from anker. the 2 combined is about the weight of the dark energy. if my battery takes a shit up there then i will just bring the solar panel along. the panels have some pretty impressive charge times for a little panel and are american made. if nothing fails, the plan is to leave the battery charging all day where camp is and charge devices at night.

also, ill have my buddy bring a battery as well. so the likely hood of not having a quick way to charge up the cameras and phones is slim.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've gotten along well with the Dark Energy's so far. I would definitely take 2 for a 5 day jaunt though.

Used the Anker Astro e7 (26,800mah) for 2 seasons now. At 1# and $60 I found it to be a much better alternative to the more expensive 10Kmah Dark Energy. Worked great for 2 cell phones and the InReach for 5-7 days on both trips.