Backup Binoculars

JakeSCH

WKR
Just curious if anyone on here keeps a good set of binoculars as backups incase something happens? I have been running Maven B2 9x45's for several years and love the glass but decided to test out the EL's with the large selloff going on and picked up a pair of 8.5x42's.

The EL's are slightly better, but I have a hard time parting with the B2's because they are fantastic so I am debating holding onto them as a pair of backups. Anyone else keep a good pair of backups? I would probably let my family and buddies borrow them as needed

go_deep

WKR
I have a set of B.1 10x42's I use for a backup pair and let friends from out of state use when they come hunt.
If you need the cash, sell the extra pair.
If you don't, it's pretty handy having the extra pair around.

TheGDog

WKR
I've always justified keeping the piece of equipment around saying to myself, the boy can use it/inherit it.

It is a good idea to have a backup set though. Last year that's how come I decided to buy those ZEISS because the twist-up eyecups of my Vortex DiamondBack's that I'd had like maybe 3-4 yrs decided to up and fail during bow season. Looked like the adhesive used in assembling them onto the main body housing just got all hardened up.

Not knowing how long it'd take to get back to me, and wanting something better anyway... I opted for an upgrade. And interestingly enough, the newer model DiamondBack's they ended up sending me back are quite nice! The ZEISS still have that last little degree of nicer to their image. But you get my point.

Bought a pair of 8 x 30 Leupold Bx4 just for bow hunting. Would not work in the western states but they will do in the Mississippi woods to back up my Leica 7 x 42’s.

sektr

FNG
Never hurts to have backups. You could lose or damage your mains, or maybe you take a new hunter out and lend them a pair. Many reasons.

I have both Swarovski EL 10x50s and Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 binos. I use them for slightly different things but I think that counts.

John.45

FNG
It’s a great idea for backup or convenience. I upgraded to the ELs last year when there were some good sales on the ELs and sold my zeiss conquests but quickly wish I would have kept them to have an extra pair for convenience in the pickup. I have some diamondbacks as backup but really see the lacking glass quality and clarity now. Keep em if you can.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I used to have razor 10x42s as a backup but sold them. If something happens to my zeiss I’ll buy a pair of something just as fast for now. But might be adding 15x56 slcs soon anyways...

TheGDog

WKR
I used to have razor 10x42s as a backup but sold them. If something happens to my zeiss I’ll buy a pair of something just as fast for now. But might be adding 15x56 slcs soon anyways...
That's sounds like a great plan man, going for those 15x56 SLC's. After I picked up some Zeiss Conquest 10x42's... and compared them to my 15x Vortex Vultures... my mind reels at what it must be like to look thru 15's that are primo glass! Those Vultures can bring in a good image, but the depth-of-field (in focus) is very shallow by comparison, and not edge-to-edge. There's maybe like a 10% ring around the FOV when the subject is centered and in focus... that outer thin rim won't be in sharp focus.

When I got the Zeiss I was astounded by how deep the depth-of-field of what was viewable and in focus was! Found it wastes less time while scanning across an area.

OP
JakeSCH

JakeSCH

WKR
That's sounds like a great plan man, going for those 15x56 SLC's. After I picked up some Zeiss Conquest 10x42's... and compared them to my 15x Vortex Vultures... my mind reels at what it must be like to look thru 15's that are primo glass! Those Vultures can bring in a good image, but the depth-of-field (in focus) is very shallow by comparison, and not edge-to-edge. There's maybe like a 10% ring around the FOV when the subject is centered and in focus... that outer thin rim won't be in sharp focus.

When I got the Zeiss I was astounded by how deep the depth-of-field of what was viewable and in focus was! Found it wastes less time while scanning across an area.

The El's I picked up are crazy. I feel like I never have to touch the focus knob, set it and forget it from 20 years to 1200 yards...full image is clear.

and because I have a spending problem I just picked up a used pair of NL Pure's 10x42. I can't believe the FOV on the 10x is the same as my 8.5 EL's

So I may end up selling the Maven's and keeping the NL's and EL's for now.

Nethero

WKR
I have 6-8 pairs of "backup" binoculars. I also have backup knives and guns. At some point all the backups will have to be reclassified as a "collection".
Hey, my backups have backups, too. Each car/truck has a set for quick glassing if need be.

And a set for different occasions. Archery hunting, open country, etc.

It’s only an issue when my wife realizes that each time she sees them it’s a different pair.

TheGDog

WKR
The El's I picked up are crazy. I feel like I never have to touch the focus knob, set it and forget it from 20 years to 1200 yards...full image is clear.

and because I have a spending problem I just picked up a used pair of NL Pure's 10x42. I can't believe the FOV on the 10x is the same as my 8.5 EL's

So I may end up selling the Maven's and keeping the NL's and EL's for now.
Thanks for that feedback! Much Appreciated.

Been hemming and hawwing about in the future if I should consider just going 12x Pure's and just be done with it.

OP
JakeSCH

JakeSCH

WKR
Thanks for that feedback! Much Appreciated.

Been hemming and hawwing about in the future if I should consider just going 12x Pure's and just be done with it.

Same here...but my 15x spot so much game when glassing. I can't imagine the 12x improving but I do hope that Swaro would do a refresh on 15x in NL or EL lines.