Backup hunts

As it gets harder and harder to draw tags every year what are some fun backup style hunts?

Is watching the colorado leftover list worth it?

Is colorado elk OTC or arizona otc mule deer worth doing?

Hogs? Pheasants? Predators?

What do some of you like to do with a week's worth of vacation for hunting if you don't draw an elk or deer tag?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in AK so I’m lucky, if I don’t draw tags, I can still hunt a lot of what I try to draw for (goats, sheep) plus resident moose, caribou and deer can be done without a draw.

When o lived down south I would check out OTC options in other states or apply for cow tags.

EastMT

WKR
Bear hunting is a blast, most of those are OTC, not expensive.

Antelope in less popular, less successful areas are easier to pull also, cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I started getting into spring bear and Texas hogs and various other exotics. CO OTC archery or rifle is also an option.

giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I do spring turkey/hogs, December ducks/hogs in Texas and am going after aoudad in Texas in Feb.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
I can hunt whitetails from September through January so if I don't do an elk hunt I got plenty to chase.

Maki35

WKR
I enjoy pheasant & rabbit hunting with friends. I get to walk around and shoot the breeze with friends. (unlike deer hunting, sit quietly and freeze my butt off. lol)
I would like to do coyote hunting, but it's a long drive and not many friends are interested.
No hog hunting in my area, otherwise I would do it.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
"Are OTC tags worth it?".......If that's the option available, then yes it's worth it. Maybe not if you are only happy when you kill an elk. If that's the case, public land elk hunting will let you down more often than not.