Backyard Archery setup

My normal draw is pointing at the target and straight back, but at home I generally point the bow at the ground in front of the target and draw, and then raise the bow. Last year I was doing some close range line shooting from 20 yards, and while pointing at the ground and drawing back, my release just let go about half way into my draw. All I heard was the arrow blowing through some branches..........after it skipped off the ground. Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Our club used to use those heavy horse stall mats on the back of Pacific Target Butts. My arrows would always penetrate through that rubber with my nock end inside the target butts. Then it was a bear trying to push my arrows from the point end far enough back to pull my arrows from the front. Hated those things. But I think I hate the stacked fiber board targets they use now even worse. My arrows come out looking like Bigfoot's arm with all the fiber board stuck to them.

With a traditional setup SHTF, you'll probably be fine.

Y'all need to invest in the big block targets. I hate the fiber board targets.

You are also dryer than us, you can definitely skip an arrow off the ground, but it's generally going to go in, tho the rocks are hard on them.

I'm with you on the bad stuff happens tho. Definitely best to be prepared for it.

I have a 48"x48" Block target at home, but it would be uneconomical to do that at the club (static range with 10-100, and four field ranges).......and those Blocks break down quickly.

I found that covered they stay together pretty well, I built an outhouse looking structure for mine. I think we have 25 or so of them at the club. Only 3 field ranges tho. They are comprised of a home made version of the layered foam. Get about the same results.

I can't stand the targets that leave everything on your arrow.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My normal draw is pointing at the target and straight back, but at home I generally point the bow at the ground in front of the target and draw, and then raise the bow. Last year I was doing some close range line shooting from 20 yards, and while pointing at the ground and drawing back, my release just let go about half way into my draw. All I heard was the arrow blowing through some branches..........after it skipped off the ground. Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Our club used to use those heavy horse stall mats on the back of Pacific Target Butts. My arrows would always penetrate through that rubber with my nock end inside the target butts. Then it was a bear trying to push my arrows from the point end far enough back to pull my arrows from the front. Hated those things. But I think I hate the stacked fiber board targets they use now even worse. My arrows come out looking like Bigfoot's arm with all the fiber board stuck to them.

With a traditional setup SHTF, you'll probably be fine.
Thats what I figure. And even though I am a long draw Im shooting a Hoyt RX4 Ultra with 60# limbs. Im not a speed bow junky so even with the Ultra I am only looking at about 8 inches of penetration. These Rubber Stall Mats are beefy.

xOttox

FNG
Same setup I have. Worst part has been pointed out is putting one through the mat and into the fence. There is 1 broad head that will forever live in the fence. Have also had a friend shoot one low, thus the targets being now elevated, that was partially through the fence so good call draping the mats.
a5e33eb8326d2dc4000daef509064559.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
My Targets that I have on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.JPEG
    IMG_0351.JPEG
    244.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Same setup I have. Worst part has been pointed out is putting one through the mat and into the fence. There is 1 broad head that will forever live in the fence. Have also had a friend shoot one low, thus the targets being now elevated, that was partially through the fence so good call draping the mats.
a5e33eb8326d2dc4000daef509064559.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I love the Deer head with the Light up top. This is why I let the target lay on the ground incase an arrow finds the dirt it would not go under the fence.

nphunter

WKR
IMO you are putting yourself and your neighbors at risk shooting at that target. I use to have to shoot in my back yard and I have had shit happen and sent arrows over the fence and into my neighbor's woodpile which was between his shed and my fence. Personally, nowadays when shooting in a congested area I put the target up against the house and shoot using the house as a backstop. A house is a great backstop and I would rather patch a hole in the siding if I miss than explain shooting my neighbor or their house.

I now live out of town and have a 100-yard range right out my front door which is awesome. I have still messed up and launched arrows into the far end of the property or 50' in the wrong direction when I've had issues. Having a release or d loop failure happen or a nock break, etc. and if you ever start shooting a hinge it is super easy to wing one if you come off of the wall and try to yank it back into place. I also draw straight back or slightly down but have still lost a lot of arrows over a target.

Anyway, the horse mat is a good idea and I really hope you never send one over that fence, it sucks not having a good place to shoot at home.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
IMO you are putting yourself and your neighbors at risk shooting at that target. I use to have to shoot in my back yard and I have had shit happen and sent arrows over the fence and into my neighbor's woodpile which was between his shed and my fence. Personally, nowadays when shooting in a congested area I put the target up against the house and shoot using the house as a backstop. A house is a great backstop and I would rather patch a hole in the siding if I miss than explain shooting my neighbor or their house.

I now live out of town and have a 100-yard range right out my front door which is awesome. I have still messed up and launched arrows into the far end of the property or 50' in the wrong direction when I've had issues. Having a release or d loop failure happen or a nock break, etc. and if you ever start shooting a hinge it is super easy to wing one if you come off of the wall and try to yank it back into place. I also draw straight back or slightly down but have still lost a lot of arrows over a target.

Anyway, the horse mat is a good idea and I really hope you never send one over that fence, it sucks not having a good place to shoot at home.
Thank you for your concern. Best of luck to you out there this year.

Vandal 44

WKR
This was was my back yard target set up for a while, the little 3-D was set up next to my shop. I sent one arrow into the shop when my shoulder gave out. This is my new setup; same 3-D target but added a big ole 365 target as a back stop
e630d158f8d984cc9024569d2b323e3d.jpg

f6de5bf751c12b6ff802da60b06c4948.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk