Backyard Archery setup

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Got my new archery lane setup this weekend. First order of business was a good backstop. I used a horse stall mat from tractor supply. Hung it on my fence with 4x4’s turned out great it’s 4x6 and stops arrows with no problem
b71e6116c03af82bf106e0e81d180bee.jpg

1b41d06af325f52b6170872a247d8df2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I just did a third hand archery target. I’m considering using this as a backstop to be safe.

03mossy

WKR
third hand archery targets are awesome! I have a 3x3 in the garage and a 4x4 in the backyard. Good call on the horse stall mat. No way a stray arrow makes it through that and the fence.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
The Netting is a cat fence. It has nothing to do with stopping arrows. its too keep my Cats from roaming the neighborhood =)

t35henry

FNG
Sent one into the woods over my fence once with a nock failure. Crap still happens at times, don’t know if you have a space to move it where a house isn’t directly behind your lane. The stop looks good though.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
yeah I have never had a flyer where the arrow went sailing somewhere I didnt intend it too. And Yes I practice drawing straight back with as little movement as possible. I use a Carter Wise Choice but also use the lanyard around my wrist for obvious reasons.

WKR
I'd be very concerned about sending one over the fence. Things happen, sometimes through no fault of your own, and the convenience isn't worth risking your neighbors lives/property.

Also, check city laws. I know where I am it's illegal to shoot archery within city limits.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im in an unincorperated county here so I am sold on the laws. Im only shooting 10 to 20 yards on this lane. no long range shooting and this will mostly be for traditional bow. not alot of compound shooting.

Randle

WKR
looks good, what about roof coming out towards the shooter and angled down towards the stall mat that should stop fliers.

Hi, I have the same set up. I'm not sure how far your shooting lane is, but something to consider is this:
My micro diameter arrows will go about halfway through that mat, if I miss my target. My lane is 80 yards. If I was to do that with yours, with it right up against the fence, my arrows would be hitting the wood behind. Also, if you shoot broadheads and go through the mat, you need to be able to unscrew the head off before pulling it back out. I know that I would want atleast 3 feet of space between the mat and the fence.

Gorp2007

WKR
Hi, I have the same set up. I'm not sure how far your shooting lane is, but something to consider is this:
My micro diameter arrows will go about halfway through that mat, if I miss my target. My lane is 80 yards. If I was to do that with yours, with it right up against the fence, my arrows would be hitting the wood behind. Also, if you shoot broadheads and go through the mat, you need to be able to unscrew the head off before pulling it back out. I know that I would want atleast 3 feet of space between the mat and the fence.

The trash cans that reside behind my stall mat backstop can confirm.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah more then likely I will hit my Fence behind the mat I thought about that and am ok with that as the fence is fairly old another hole in it, if and when I miss isnt going to be tragic. For Broadheads. I thought of that also. I can take out 1 or 2 of the bolts to get behind the mat which is plenty of space for me to get in there to take off the head if necessary.

as for the Roof, That is the next part of the project is to put a roof on it so I can leave my Targets out there and not pack them in out of the weather. That Roof will be coming up after we get our new Deck put in as they may need to remove this part of the fence to get the materials in.

Randle Im a bit confused on the Roof layout your trying to paint. Can you scetch it up so I can see what you mean with the way you described it.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I dig how Saftey conscious you all are being. I love the suggestions.. I figure if I have an issue with arrows flying anywhere but into or towards the target then I probably shouldnt be shooting in the backyard.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
looks good, what about roof coming out towards the shooter and angled down towards the stall mat that should stop fliers.
This what you mean?

Attachments

• Target setup.JPG
    Target setup.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 64

Randle

WKR
That should do it, probably just coming of the front woukd do though. Just something to knock the arrow down into the stall mat, with no gap that it could slip thru

Jbxl20

WKR
I dig how Saftey conscious you all are being. I love the suggestions.. I figure if I have an issue with arrows flying anywhere but into or towards the target then I probably shouldnt be shooting in the backyard.
I think it looks good! If you wanted, you could move the target more to right. shoot from the opposite corner of the fence. That puts your house in the background behind the mats. That way if something would happen your sending one into your house and not the neighbors.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Learn to draw with the bow down.
My normal draw is pointing at the target and straight back, but at home I generally point the bow at the ground in front of the target and draw, and then raise the bow. Last year I was doing some close range line shooting from 20 yards, and while pointing at the ground and drawing back, my release just let go about half way into my draw. All I heard was the arrow blowing through some branches..........after it skipped off the ground. Sometimes bad stuff just happens.

Our club used to use those heavy horse stall mats on the back of Pacific Target Butts. My arrows would always penetrate through that rubber with my nock end inside the target butts. Then it was a bear trying to push my arrows from the point end far enough back to pull my arrows from the front. Hated those things. But I think I hate the stacked fiber board targets they use now even worse. My arrows come out looking like Bigfoot's arm with all the fiber board stuck to them.

With a traditional setup SHTF, you'll probably be fine.